WR Maps Only

ggamster

I thought a good resource would be to list all the maps that we know of, the tune of the bike, the effect it has on power delivery, the fuel economy with the map.

Please help me keep from getting this derailed.  I am simply wanting a list as stated above.  If you have questions about the maps please pm the poster to eliminate the need of reading fifteen different post to get the answer you are looking for.  

Thanks Guys for your help.

• Like 2

Smooth on Bottom Rush on Top Map

3  3  0          1  2  3

4  4  1          2  2  2

5  5  2          2  1  1

This map is perfect for everything that I have found so far.  It is mild on the bottom without being to soft and a nice fast rush on the top when needed.

Getting about 30 miles to a tank

WR450F Exhaust insert, ECM, Screw

• Like 1

"Not sure what you call it but this is the best balance of performance and economy I can find.

FI
-2-4-4
-2-4-4
-2-2-2

IG
+3+3+2
+3+3+2
+3+3+3

Power is very linear from idle to the limiter. Easy throttle control with no nasty hits anywhere, lets you hook up on all sorts of surfaces but a slide is only a clutch dip away.

Extends fuel range by about 20ks per tank on the bulk of the stuff I ride. Fuel light was on at 56ks on the Aussie map, out to 68 to 74 on this one. 

Bring on a two map switch on the bars!"

Dirt Bike World
  • Like 2

"I like the Aussie map because it's rich at the bottom end of the rpm ranges; but I prefer not to go lean with the WR. I have been running one of the USA maps, I felt that an old / worn tyre replicated a muddy / slippery surface; it worked really well with that application.

FI 
+5+5 0 
+5+7+1 
+5+7+2 

IG
0 0 0
0-5 0
-3-4 0
First ride with a new tyre lacked responce and seamed to loose power in the high rpm range (probably due to the big FI variation from mid-range to high range), so I have loaded a modified "enduro" map (YZ muffler on also).

FI 
+3 +3 +3 
+4 +4 +3 
+4 +4 +3 

IG
+1+1 0
+2+2+1
+2+2+1
I will give it a go tomorrow; but I have a feeling that may have to retard the whole timing range by one more degree"

Dirt Bike World

Phill Andrew Map #9

Smooth Map

5  5  0           0   0   0

5  7  1           0  -5   0  

5  7  2          -3  -4  0

Map #7

Haven't Tried it

-4  +4  -4          2  -5  2

I see a trend.  Most of these maps "plus up" the fuel by many units (3-5), and advance the Ig by many units (2-3) at the same time.

It's no wonder these cycles are developing a reputation for being fuel pigs. With these settings, I'm not surprised.

Some of the rest retard the Ig. by 3-5 deg's.  That's a big move!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the link. I'm really glad you posted this. The text was a great read, and I agreed with most of it.

Notice they dont talk about range at all.  Of course, they're not interested in range much, they're interested in, well, whatever they're interested in (smoother power, winning races, etc).

It's nice to have a full reserve gas tank waiting by the side of the track to refill from, huh?

Edited by mebgardner

Smooth on Bottom Rush on Top Map

1 1 0 1 2 3

2 2 1 2 2 2

3 3 1 2 1 1

I just did this over the weekend. I found it performed the same as my orginal map listed above but with better mpg.

Give it a shot!

Yup, I saw this map posted in your map thread.  I'm glad you're getting better range and still-acceptable performance / smoothness in the fueling.  You stated the MPG was better (ie: better range), but did not say by how much.

I would opine that anything above the (what was it? 30 miles per tank?) would have been an improvement...

I'm still testing the "Woods Map", but I do not have the results to post yet.

Yup, I saw this map posted in your map thread.  I'm glad you're getting better range and still-acceptable performance / smoothness in the fueling.  You stated the MPG was better (ie: better range), but did not say by how much.

I would opine that anything above the (what was it? 30 miles per tank?) would have been an improvement...

I'm still testing the "Woods Map", but I do not have the results to post yet.

Woods Map, from here:

http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport/mcy/wr450f_GYTR_Power_Tuner_settings.aspx

0     0    0          0   0   0

-3   -3    0         -5  -3   0

-3   -3    0         -5  -5   0

My cycle:

2013 WR450 F.

GYTR ECU

Stock Pipe, uncorked.

Snorkles Out.

Throttle screw limiter out.

I did not like this map.  It backfires on decel, I believe due to too lean fueling.  It was hard-starting, too, tho I had changed the Idle/ CO mixture at the same time. (from "0" stock setting for this programmable ECU, to "8", enrichening the Idle setting).  So, I'm not yet ready to blame the map for the (Idle setting) hard starting.  Not yet...  This cycle has never been hard starting before this. I'm leaning to blaming the too far move in retarding ignition.

No red header glow was seen even after idling for about 4 minutes.

The fuelling above idle was smooth enough, with a reduced "jerky-ness" to it, and a reduced "hit" on throttle roll-on.

The decel backfiring bothers me tho, so I'm abandoning this map altogether, without measuring the MPG while using it.

I'll likely try something in-between the stock ("all zero's" with the +2 in lower left of Fuel side) and this Woods Map, for the next try.

I'm looking for:

Very Good to Excellent Range (for "spirited" riding in lo-to-mid gear).

No detonation.

Smooth torque delivery (as good as possible, given it's a dirt bike).

No red header glow (an indication, I believe, of exhaught valves being burned possibly from too lean fuel).

Good low end power.

...roughly in that order.  Power is at the bottom of priority, because this cycle already delivers plenty of power across the band. I would rather not ruin the upper end of the motor, than eck out more HP.

• Like 1

Same map I'm running at 4500' ASL. Trails are in the sub 15mph range. No problems with boil over, stalling, decal pop, has good fuel range. Are the problems you find related to altitude? I'm switching to the FMF map once I get the FMF slip on in and on the bike. This map is  +2+3+3      +2+2+1

+2+4+4      +3+2+2

+2+4+4      +3+3+3

I'll let you know what I think about it. Based on the number it looks like more power everywhere.

I've been requested by the OP to not include non-Map discussion.  This is a "Map-Only" thread.  But, having stated that, and now opening the door, I'll say that I dont believe my isues with the "Woods Map" are related to altitude.  This is a FI cycle, and I'm at ~3000 ft. MSL.  I've had much better success today with an adjusted map, somewhat between my two attempts. I'll report on the adjusted map once I have MPG info to relate. For now, It's smooth and not popping on decel, and no longer hard starting. I expect better range numbers, too. Again, I dont care that much about more power (my point: see the last remark you made "more power everywhere").

It looks like this:

0    0   0      0   0   0

-1  -1   0     -1  -1   0

-1  -1   0     -1  -1   0

I've been requested by the OP to not include non-Map discussion.  This is a "Map-Only" thread.  But, having stated that, and now opening the door, I'll say that I dont believe my isues with the "Woods Map" are related to altitude.  This is a FI cycle, and I'm at ~3000 ft. MSL.  I've had much better success today with an adjusted map, somewhat between my two attempts. I'll report on the adjusted map once I have MPG info to relate. For now, It's smooth and not popping on decel, and no longer hard starting. I expect better range numbers, too. Again, I dont care that much about more power (my point: see the last remark you made "more power everywhere").

It looks like this:

0    0   0      0   0   0

-1  -1   0     -1  -1   0

-1  -1   0     -1  -1   0

I have the results of this map.  It's improved over my 1st attempt.  I like this one...

I'm getting ~50 MPG using it, so that is an improvement.

Since I made these adjustments (including a change to the CO / Idle fuel setting, via Diagnostic programmer, to an "8" value), the cycle is just a bit harder to start when hot, when I stall it.  Now, it starts on the 2nd or 3rd attempt at eStart when hot, and 1st attempt every time when cold, and it used to start on 1st attempt every time, hot or cold.

It's a tradeoff I can live with.

The fuelling is smooth, consistent, and no sign of surging at any throttle setting. Power delivery at medium and high throttle settings is great, but I expected that from a 450.

The low throttle "hit" seems to have lessened, too. That's something I needed, or I was thinking of a heavier flywheel to accomplish that goal.  Now, I'm hoping I don't need to buy that.

No glowing header to report (other than the "normal" conditions I've seen GrayRacer publish this week (Thanks! Very Helpful!).

It's a very simple map, with simple goals.  I'm gonna use this for awhile, until I need to change my goals (if ever).

• Like 1

FMF Map:

+2 +3 +3       +2 +2 +1

+2 +4 +4       +3 +2 +2

+2 +4 +4       +3 +3 +3

Fuel light at about 40 miles under conditions similar to race conditions. Fast double track and sand washes 30mph moving average max speed 77mph.

Impressive performance off idle to limiter. Hard to stall. Runs cool. Starts easily in gear.

• Like 1