HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DieselJoe

New motor, does out when I put it in 1st gear?

9 posts in this topic

Okay so I had my motor completely redone, all new bearings, transmission, timing chain, top and bottem end, cylinder, head, cams etc. when I put it in first gear when it's cold it dies out. If I roll it forward then put it in gear it's fine, but then revs up a little bit and idles higher in gear. When warm it will go into gear without dying but again idles higher in gear then in neutral, what could be the problem? I partially blame it on the hydronic clutch, only because I don't like it I feel like a cable clutch pulls the clutch in farther and a cable seems more reliable to me.... Any other ideas? Kinda weird. Also this didn't happen before the rebuild, that I can remember anyway

Okay so I had my motor completely redone, all new bearings, transmission, timing chain, top and bottem end, cylinder, head, cams etc. when I put it in first gear when it's cold it dies out. If I roll it forward then put it in gear it's fine, but then revs up a little bit and idles higher in gear. When warm it will go into gear without dying but again idles higher in gear then in neutral, what could be the problem? I partially blame it on the hydronic clutch, only because I don't like it I feel like a cable clutch pulls the clutch in farther and a cable seems more reliable to me.... Any other ideas? Kinda weird. Also this didn't happen before the rebuild, that I can remember anyway

my bike does that too let it warm up...

If the clutch is also new, it may need time to wear in enough that it stops dragging.  That happens a lot of times when aftermarket plates are used instead of the OEM or premium quality items.  If you only replaced the friction plates, it's likely that the steels are not truly flat.  Once in gear, it should not creep more than a very small amount, if at all, and you should be able to put the bike back in neutral at an idle.

If it idles faster in gear, and/or if the idle "hangs" at a higher speed for a time after it's revved up, you have either you idle set too lean, an air leak in the intake, or a tight intake valve.