About to pull the trigger on a 2013 YZ450R

Nothing. 

Unless you need a sparky, leave the exhaust alone IMO

Some guys like to ditch the stock chain right away-but its a chain. Its going to stretch. Use it until its toast and then buy a nice one. 

If you buy it new, get an hour meter and start a maintenance log. Every time you service anything, write it down. Helps keep track and gives the buyer (when you sell it) an idea of the maintenance history of the bike. 

edit- I bought the last 2013 450 my local dealer had and cant be happier. 

Edited by shortburb

if its from a dealer. maybe they can sell you a GYTR tuner for cost, that way you can read the hour meter (it can be reset though) and explore the world of mapping. it can also help you diagnose a problem in the future.

you will have a great reliable bike. as long as you do your maintenance to spec. and use a quality synthetic oil like amsoil or mobil.

Yeah the bike is coming from a dealer.  The manger took it on a demo, but low on hours and I am going to buy a tuner, just didn't know if I should get a GYTR or Power Commander?  Also, I need a spark arrestor to ride in the woods, that why I was going to get the end cap.  Glad to hear its a good bike.  I also make sure to keep up on my maintenance, so I should be good

I got a 2012 Brand new replaced chain and sprockets at about 15 hrs. I was almost out of adjustment I put renthal r3 o ring And steel sprockets and after 10 hrs have not touched it. Bike has not needed any thing with 25 hrs on the meter. It's a great all around bike. Don't listen too any one that tells ya different. Fly wheel weight if you trail ride and possibly a touch lower gearing. ( it is very lurchy down low.). Much much better after fly wheel. And higher bars if you feel you need them. I am not a a+ mechanic or racer but this has Ben my experience.

Yeah the bike is coming from a dealer.  The manger took it on a demo, but low on hours and I am going to buy a tuner, just didn't know if I should get a GYTR or Power Commander?  Also, I need a spark arrestor to ride in the woods, that why I was going to get the end cap.  Glad to hear its a good bike.  I also make sure to keep up on my maintenance, so I should be good

How much is the dealer letting you have it for?

MAX!!!

Just picked up a 13' myself last week. Previous owner bought it last summer, had Factory Connection revalve the suspension for him. Evidently, it took most of the Summer to get it back as the bike only had 10 hrs on it. Never had a chance to talk to the guy, but it must have really frustrated him as he traded it in on a 14 as soon as my local shop got one in (yes, he lost his ass on that deal!). Still had the stock tires on it. I pcked it up from the shop for $5500, put new Dunlop 952's on it, took the Windham/RM tall bend bars off my 06' (thanks for that tip Grayracer!) and went riding. After fighting thru some really strange suspension settings from the P.O., I could not be happier with the way it turns. Waiting on a slip on to see if it moves a little power from btm to top and go from there! This is going to be a track bike only, may still consider the flywheel weight. Piss on the mx/dirbike mags, if they would get their asses out of Socal once in awhile I think their bike tests would carry a little more credibility.

Picked up the bike.  I really like it, but it is very tall and I am not.  I need to get it lowered ASAP to feel more comfortable on it.  I was on a 250 that was lowered and it felt perfect.  So this bigger bike has me a little off and uncomfortable.  I only ride the woods, so I want to get a fly wheel weight and a smaller front sprocket.  Other than that I think it will be great.