HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wadzi90

yz 426 for woods

26 posts in this topic

Ive never ridden one but they have always been something id like to ride.I know they are good for the dez but how do they fair in the woods

Ive never ridden one but they have always been something id like to ride.I know they are good for the dez but how do they fair in the woods

The only experience I've had with one is a buddy of mine had one. We went riding several times with it trading bikes back and fourth. Mine was a two stroke. And by the end of the day both our right legs were bigger and it almost got left out in the woods last time it stalled. Not sayin they are all like that but that one was. He traded back to an 07 yz 250 later that year. Didn't even have it a year.

Well the wr would probably be better suited for that than yz but the yz can do it just fine Imo. It is easier to stall than the wr, but once you get used to it, it's not hard at all to keep it from stalling in the nasty stuff. If it really bothers you, you can install a heavier flywheel.

They take a certain method to start but once you have it down, you should be able to start it within 1-3 kicks cold, and the first kick when warm.

Good bikes that can do many things.

I picked up a 98 yz400 about 6 months ago. It had the hot cam done and I put an 07 carb on it. The bike rips and I love it for all situations from woods to desert to track - I've ridden it in all of them and the bike continues to impress me.

I like my 426 for everything ive come across out here in Colorado. maybe I got lucky, bike doesn't stall much and starts easy. I like it.

Rough bike for the woods....I wouldn't buy one again as there are better bikes now available.

Use my YZ426 '00 exclusively for woods and dual sport now, larger tank and 2 teeth added to the rear, backed off the clickers and loosened the rear spring, raised the fork tubes, works great for me. I like the bottom end torque, I have also ridden EXC300, KLX351, and my 426 works better. Just my opinion, I bought the EXC300 just for dual sports and got rid of it, I'm used to the 4 strokes and can't see my self back on a 2 stroke.

I loved my old 00 for woods.  13/52 gearing, radiator braces and handguards, and let it eat.  I HIGHLY recommend a decomp cam swap if the bike doesn't have it already.  To this day I still regret selling my 00 and "upgrading" to the 06.

My 2000 is mainly a trail bike but I use it on the tracks some too. Even if I stall mine in the woods(rarely happens) it starts back up on the first kick. If you take care of your bike it will take care of you. 

2 people like this

I have always loved my 2002 426 for all types of riding. It's all stock aside from the gearing change. I actually have it geared up to 15/49 because of all the bottom end that it has, but most of the trails that I ride aren't extremely tight. Don't be afraid of the decompression lever if it has one. With the proper jetting and the technique it will start easy every time. You won't be disappointed! 

Edited by woodsy94

What exactly is a decompression lever...I've heard a lot about compression on 426's....

I've heard they're hard to start

Bigger single cylinder 4-strokes with high compression can be extremely difficult to kick through the full compression stroke.  A healthy YZ426 is nearly impossible.  To address this difficulty, such engines were generally always built with a device to allow the release of compression manually, almost always by means of lifting one of the exhaust valves slightly off its seat.  Beginning with the '03 YZ450F, Yamaha replaced the manual system with a speed actuated automatic decompression system to reduce cranking compression to a practical level.

On the YZ400F and the 426, the lever rotates a shaft in the front of the head that lifts the right exhaust valve.  The way it is used is that the rider pushes the kick crank until he runs into the resistance of the compression stroke, then pulls the compression release and advances the engine about half way from there to TDC (about an inch on the kick crank).  At that point, the decomp lever is released, the kick crank reset to the top, and he kicks it over.  The idea is to shorten the compression event so the engine can be turned over.

Here's a couple of vids:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/4stroke_vid/4_stroke_vid_a.mpg

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/4stroke_vid/4_stroke_vid_b.mpg

I just purchased mine before Christmas, the first time I had it out I stalled it 3 times at low speed and no throttle.  I bought a 12oz heavier flywheel and a 13 tooth counter sproket and now it climbs like a goat and never stalls.  Those two mods made a huge difference.

1 person likes this

I have an 02. Easiest bike to start I have owned recluse clutch makes it easiest bike to ride Only drawback is weight gets a lil heavy after 30 miles of single track reliable as a stone

I would not buy one of these second hand without recepts to show that the rod and bearings hand been replaced unless it’s got bugger all miles/Km on it. They also have problems with pinion gears going in the transmission. It’s not that there a bad bike, but they along with the 400 were early in the 4t development cycle and have problems that are starting to show in significant numbers. These bikes are getting on to 13 years of off-road abuse it takes its tole without the proper maintenance it’s a ticking time bomb of engine trouble. If you do get one at the right price I would be doing a total engine over hall, unless you do it yourself its cheaper just to buy a newer bike. I would be looking at 2007 and later WR450/250 or YZ450/250 that has the major frame update and a bunch of changes to the transmission to fix the above problems I’ve mentioned.

It’s going to be a lot cheaper in the long run to go newer.

Tanis

I had a 02 yz426 that I just sold in the fall. It was pretty rough shape, had zero maintenance done on it from the last owner. all I did was change the oil and adjust the valves and rode it for 3 years, nothing but woods without any issues. It felt heavy in the tight corners and was a pig to start after it stalled. All in all I really liked the bike, had tons of fun with it and would wheelie forever lol. But I sold it for a 08 kx450f. Like others said, you're probably better off with a newer bike that's lighter, has more power and is easier to start. You can get a 05 450 for not much more then a 426, but a nicer bike. But if you can find a clean low hour 426 that's decent priced, go for it.

My 02 is completely original never shimmed very well maintained and ridden weekly. I think they are better built than the new ones. Heavy ??? Yes Unreliable ? Not even close

1 person likes this

I would not buy one of these second hand without recepts to show that the rod and bearings hand been replaced unless it’s got bugger all miles/Km on it. They also have problems with pinion gears going in the transmission. It’s not that there a bad bike, but they along with the 400 were early in the 4t development cycle and have problems that are starting to show in significant numbers. These bikes are getting on to 13 years of off-road abuse it takes its tole without the proper maintenance it’s a ticking time bomb of engine trouble. If you do get one at the right price I would be doing a total engine over hall, unless you do it yourself its cheaper just to buy a newer bike. I would be looking at 2007 and later WR450/250 or YZ450/250 that has the major frame update and a bunch of changes to the transmission to fix the above problems I’ve mentioned.

It’s going to be a lot cheaper in the long run to go newer.

Tanis

Don't listen to this dude.  I have a 98yz400f and a 99yz400f.   I ride them hard on single track woods trails in NV.   No engine issues whatsoever, infact they're pretty much bullit proof.  Just change the oil and dlean the air fllter and check the valves and you're good.  I've cleaned the carb once, an it starts second kck cold, first kick hot.  Oh yeah, I put a baja designs kit on there so that's esentially a heavier flywheel, and it lumps along just fine with the 14/52 gearing.   If your looking at buying one, yeah, maybe go newer, but the old ones are super bullit proof.  I'm guessing Tanis doesn't/hasn't owned one and is going off what he reads on the internet.   .

Edited by markcjr
1 person likes this

Mark, I'm going to put it out that i have plenty of first hand experience with this engine blowing up, in fact iv just wrecked one. Have a read of this and be careful in future who you accuse of talking out of there ass, it can make you look a bit touched. If anyones looking for suspension or other parts i may just have some. http://www.thumpertalk.com/index.php?/topic/1054575-Who%20else%20has%20had%20major%20engine%20carnage?

I've had my '01 YZ426 for 4 yrs now. Only had to change plug once and that was because not that it needed it but had no idea how long po had it in there. Oil I change every 6-8 hrs. I ride mine here in the dessert of AZ as well as in the trees up in Flagstaff with a 49/13 gearing. Not sure what size flywheel as I have not had to get in there.