03 yz450. Header glowing red hot.

I was riding yesterday and when we got back it was dark. I noticed the header was glowing red towards the jug area. Thoughts? Is this normal?

Did it get dented? If not it must be running rich.

No dents. I know the carb needs some work because its got one hell of a dead spot off idle.

I was riding yesterday and when we got back it was dark. I noticed the header was glowing red towards the jug area. Thoughts? Is this normal?

Normal

Did it get dented? If not it must be running rich.

It's running lean. No it shouldn't .

It's running lean. No it shouldn't .

If he was so lean that he made the exhaust glow he would have melted the motor down or aleast been misfiring so bad he couldn't ride it. When you are running rich it puts a lot of heat into the exhaust.

A stock head pipe will glow while the bike is still. They are thin walled. Bike is made to move. Mine was running lean enough before to glow the pipe all the way past the peg when the jets were clogged some.

it is normal, Ive seen three 450's all stock all did it

If he was so lean that he made the exhaust glow he would have melted the motor down or aleast been misfiring so bad he couldn't ride it. When you are running rich it puts a lot of heat into the exhaust.

Oil and fuel cool the piston plus it's water cooled cylinder, so it's not necessarily going to melt the engine. Like CJParker said the exhaust is thin walled and it only gets cooled when air is moving over it. It's a lean condition might not be to lean, but it's lean!

it is normal, Ive seen three 450's all stock all did it

No it's not  the jettings off or the fuel maps off. The only time my pipe glowed red was when my fuel map was lean.

Oil and fuel cool the piston plus it's water cooled cylinder, so it's not necessarily going to melt the engine. Like CJParker said the exhaust is thin walled and it only gets cooled when air is moving over it. It's a lean condition might not be to lean, but it's lean!

No it's not  the jettings off or the fuel maps off. The only time my pipe glowed red was when my fuel map was lean.

Well you must be new to 4 stroke race bikes because it is normal. Lean, sure that's how they are jetted or mapped. Dangerous? yea don't touch it. Is it gonna blow? yea its a four stroke , lol , all joking aside. Every one I've seen did it standing still in low light. Don't sit still and idle on a race bike for more than a minute.

Edited by capt justin

Well you must be new to 4 stroke race bikes because it is normal. Lean, sure that's how they are jetted or mapped. Dangerous? yea don't touch it. Is it gonna blow? yea its a four stroke , lol , all joking aside. Every one I've seen did it standing still in low light. Don't sit still and idle on a race bike for more than a minute.

Yeah I am new to four strokes! My RMZ only has done it when it was lean, but I have a stainless exhaust not Ti. Maybe Ti's different! The RMZ has to be idled for 3 minutes to due oil check and I've never had my exhaust glow!

the ti exhaust is very thin and that causes the glow also. My buds 2006 yz 450 has glowed since new, no problems what so ever. You might be able to jet the glow out of it but it would be pig rich.

I got the same problem, I just did the valve adjustment on  the 2008 yz450, put the valve in the tight spec as .004" for intake, and .008" for exhaust. The bike ran perfect but my header was glowing, and I dont believe it was glowing before.. so you guys think the bike is running rich?  

Here is the Video, I just uploaded... Your Help is much appreciated as well

http://s37.photobucket.com/user/speedlude69/media/030.mp4.html

Did you not even read the other post???

It's totally normal, you don't need to adjust anything.  4 strokes run super hot.  here's mine after a wash after only running for literally 10 seconds

photo (1).JPG

MAX!!!

Exactly how my fmf looked.

It's totally normal, you don't need to adjust anything.  4 strokes run super hot.  here's mine after a wash after only running for literally 10 seconds

attachicon.gifphoto (1).JPG

MAX!!!

Thanks guys for your input, i guess it is normal for all the four strokers to glow this red.   I just switched over to four stroke from 2 stroke for the first time in 25 years recently summer, except my first bike was a z50 honda.    I didnt see the header glow this red  until i re adjusted the valves, maybe it was because it was alittle dark out already. I thought about jetting my carb to make it less red, maybe make it more rich as it seems everyone saying its running lean.  I want more power, its never enough power. ;)     Are any of you from BC?