Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BajaFool

Mexico highway 1 toll road collapsed today near La Mission

15 posts in this topic

Jimmyh,

Try this link. When it opens, scroll down through the replies. There are many photos. We aren't talking about a washout or pothole here. The whole side of the mountain at Salsipuedes slid down into the ocean. This is well past "dump a few yards of fill and pave it". The Mexicans will be looking for a new route for the highway.

I tested this link, it opens for me.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=71215

Jimmyh,

Try this link. When it opens, scroll down through the replies. There are many photos. We aren't talking about a washout or pothole here. The whole side of the mountain at Salsipuedes slid down into the ocean. This is well past "dump a few yards of fill and pave it". The Mexicans will be looking for a new route for the highway.

I tested this link, it opens for me.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=71215

There have been several bad accidents as it got worse and worse, in Nov it looked terrible, they had heavy equipment working on the ocean side trying to support it, there was a report of a 4.6 earthquake recently which didn't help... That's going to take a long time to fix...

Thanks for update. Looks like photos were from Saturday. That stretch has been going through construction for a while, guess it finally went for real.

My partner most likely went that route Friday morning with his wife and kids heading to Camalu. Hopefully he gets the heads up to return through Tecate.

headed north through the free road to the toll at La Mision yesterday - maybe an extra 15 minutes or so added to the trip.

still, tons of traffic and more truck traffic to come beginning next week with the holidays rolling down.

Not a lot of passing points,  real curvy,  a bunch of dumb drivers, and a lot of road work right outside of Ensenada.

===

read they are looking into a quick fix while they work on the toll road - cut cross road farther south from La Mision at   Bajamar to the free road. 

Damn. I'm heading down Thursday. The bypass is not that bad but I miss that scenic drive. The photo gallery in that article is pretty awesome.

Confidential sources in the know (actually it was just the toll booth operator today in Rosarito) told me that the collapsed 

toll road will officially open tomorrow, Tuesday Dec 16 at 10AM.  All they are doing today is paint the lines.

But then again, they said it would open by last June, then bumped to September.

1 person likes this