HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tj420tj

How do I replace the shift shaft in my 06 yz450f

8 posts in this topic

On my 250f I removed the shift lever , carefully pulled the clutchside sidecase in order to reuse the seal, I dont remember if I had to remove the clutch or not, but ended up basically pulling it out from the clutch side.

Changing the shift shaft requires the removal of the Right side cover and clutch from a YZ450, so draining the coolant is required, too.  You can avoid draining the oil if you lay the bike on its side.

Thanks guys, someone said I had to split the case to get to the shaft here at a local shop. Is that true, or is grayracers way the way to do it without splitting the case? Thanks again everyone

Thanks guys, someone said I had to split the case to get to the shaft here at a local shop. Is that true, or is grayracers way the way to do it without splitting the case? Thanks again everyone

No case splitting required. I would drain the oil, I am sure that when you pull the shaft out it will dump out the hole where the shaft was. I have only done this while bikes are on a work stand so Gray could be right. Take your time and you will be fine.

No, actually, you're right. Oil would drain from the shaft bore on the low side. It would only be the amount in the sump, though, and not all if it. Still, usually a good idea to change oil after engine work anyway.

Ok thanks, is the shift shaft and shift pedal the only parts I will need or are there other parts I will need? I have a stripped/worn shift shaft and shifter.

Right cover gasket, shift shaft seal, copper washer for the coolant drain, etc., may or may not be needed.