HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
G-BRO

426 carburetion

3 posts in this topic

It seems like no matter what I do, I cant get the carburetor set up right on my 426. The mid and top end seem to be strong but the low end off idle has been a major problem lately. I have an external idle mixture screw installed and it seems like it constantly needs adjusting to get a crisp throttle response off idle. I know your not supposed to abruptly open the throttle while the bike is on a stand, but I feel like I sshould have much better results than I currently do. Anybody want to chime in on experience with this?

The 400/426 carbs arent that great.  As much as I still love my 400  -  abrupt off ilde wacks of the throttle wether on the stand or while riding can cause a stumble.  I have never been able to completely tune this out.  While normal riding and racing it shouldnt happen but if I really want to I can cause it to stumble. 

Saw a thread that GreyRacer posted up a response too and he references which 450 carbs to swap in for better results. Look for the post " help for 99 Carb"

My 04 & 06 is crisp and clean.

Edited by Team_Oatmeal_Pie

Good to know about the possible carb swap. The main reason I complian is because I feel like the bike is much more sensitive to any carburetor adjustments than any other bike I've own. Just when I get things correct I feel like I ride it a week later and it is out of adjustment again!