Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eRRmmm

YFZ450 clutch basket in WR450

8 posts in this topic

I've found a few posts on this but nothing definitive, maybe it's just poor search skills, dunno....

I'd like to put a YFZ450 clutch in my 2005 WR as I'll be doing some long rides on it, including some bitumen, and the YFZ clutch has springs in the driven gear assembly to soften impact on the gearbox.  And it's MUCH cheaper than a cush hub, cheap enough to do just as a precaution..

Others have done it successfully apparently, but I recall reading that the primary drive gear from the quad needs to be swapped in as well.

From some reading on Yamaha part numbers, it seems the 1st part is the bike model, 2nd part is part number, 3rd part is revision (but will fit older versions with same part number), and last part is colour.

A check on part numbers at partzilla gives this:

2005 WR450 clutch basket 5XD-16150-20-00

2005 YFZ450 clutch basket 5TG-16150-00-00

So it's different, but they are interchangeable.

2005 WR450 primary drive gear 5TJ-16111-00-00

2005 YFZ450 primary drive gear 5TG-16111-00-00

This suggests the drive gear is the same?

If someone has actually done this can you let me know if the primary drive gear needed to be changed?

According to that part number, the primary gear is completely different. The 16111 part of the number means they're both primary drive gears. The 00-00 part means neither was revised. It's the first three characters that tell you what model the part was originally intended for.

But you might be able to use the YFZ basket and drive gear as a pair. The clutch linings interchange, as do almost all the rest of the clutch parts.

But your WR does have a torsional cushion built in the basket, you know. It uses "rubber" inserts instead of springs, because a quad weighs about 150 pounds more than your bike does.

According to that part number, the primary gear is completely different. The 16111 part of the number means they're both primary drive gears. The 00-00 part means neither was revised. It's the first three characters that tell you what model the part was originally intended for.

But you might be able to use the YFZ basket and drive gear as a pair. The clutch linings interchange, as do almost all the rest of the clutch parts.

But your WR does have a torsional cushion built in the basket, you know. It uses "rubber" inserts instead of springs, because a quad weighs about 150 pounds more than your bike does.

Thanks Grayracer, I did not know that there was a rubber insert in the WR clutch, useful info that no-one else on the forums seemed to discuss.  Also, the part number references I found are apparently rubbish, including one from a self proclaimed "Yamaha parts monkey".

Thanks for setting me straight.

Just a thought would be there are lots of WR's that are street ridden without anything special.

Agree, and I have seen YZs and WRs pushed hard on paved tracks. Not sure if they run cush equipped drive trains or not. I have even "heard" that some dual sports do not have Cush hubs (XRL), not sure if it's true.

This may just be worrying about nothing