2006 YZ450f 50th Anniversary

There's a Yellow YZ in the back ground in most of the pictures :D .

I finally figured out the clutch and the basket was notched so I filed down the sides. I took it around the block and it feeling much better now.

0D9AEB20-AA18-4B88-8F7A-64A88598F91C_zps

I finally broke down and got a new clutch basket and I went with the Hinson steel one to add in the wear resistance and add a little more rotational force so I'm not staling so much in the tight stuff.

X001-Y007.jpg

It will help the wear, of course, but it won't add much rotational inertia to the crank.  The problem is twofold: One, the clutch turns 2.6 times slower than the crank, which reduces the rotating inertia very considerably, and two, as the engine decelerates, the force being transmitted back to the crank is then reduced again by having to drive the crank back through a 2.6:1 "overdrive" ratio.   The net effect is near zero, really.

It will help the wear, of course, but it won't add much rotational inertia to the crank.  The problem is twofold: One, the clutch turns 2.6 times slower than the crank, which reduces the rotating inertia very considerably, and two, as the engine decelerates, the force being transmitted back to the crank is then reduced again by having to drive the crank back through a 2.6:1 "overdrive" ratio.   The net effect is near zero, really.

I did hear that it wasn't as effective as the fly wheel but I figured it had to help out a little.

So after a rough ride Saturday with getting use to hill climbing my moose hand guards fell apart so I ordered a set of Cycras so they should work better with all the wires and cables. surprisinly I busted my carbon fiber heat shield, I guess when I dropped it and it hit a rock so I'm gonna wait a little to get a new heat shield but I'll get it for the next trail ride but I plan on more of a relaxing ride than trying to push my self. I'm gonna be putting the street set up back  on since it I'll be while before I get back out on the trail so I'm gonna try a 15/47 gearing and that should put me about 60-65 for a cruising speed before the motor starts winding up too high. I still have the HD stator to install and figure out how to wire up a R6 light switch.

cy-7402-12a.jpgR6-left-handlebar-switch.jpg

Edited by 700rScott
The cycra hand guards worked out really well and then I finally got a set of graphics on the bike, they look pretty good.

CCA39A64-24BF-4A3E-8EE5-BE182785FE4B_zps

92F595A1-A32D-4B31-A7A6-4B72AA5E8032_zps

I got a no marking shift lever boot from Tricked Out Custom Cycles so hopefully my Timbs can clean now with out the big black mark on top. :banana:
97F8FD0E-6C83-49EB-8716-AB48F0109283_zps

The hydraulic clutch idea will likely clash with the use of a Rekluse.  Snow-on-the-ground cold weather jetting should be 48/170, needle at 5.  After the outside air temps get up to 45-50 again, 45/165, needle in 4.

Gray, I adjusted one of the jets last spring and I think I went up to the 48 but left the 165 alone. I was getting a slight miss around 2-3,000 rpms , it wasn't major so I just dealt with it. Would the 48 jet cause that or should I be looking for something else? 

It could.  "Misfires" caused by excessive richness usually take the form of a regular misfire, like skipping every second power stroke, often called "blubbering".

Go back to the 45 and see.  Could also be the needle, or a TPS problem.

It could.  "Misfires" caused by excessive richness usually take the form of a regular misfire, like skipping every second power stroke, often called "blubbering".

Go back to the 45 and see.  Could also be the needle, or a TPS problem.

Ok and when you say the 3rd or 4th or what ever position the needle should be at are you talking from the point up or the flat part down?

Needle position is numbered from top to bottom.  "Needle in 4" means that the clip is placed in the forth groove down.

Section 7 of your manual explains a lot of this stuff reasonably well. 

Ok, I never had a manual and the download one isn't the easiest to navigate through.

It isn't that hard....

It isn't that hard....

The different languages on it throws me off with it.

I had a little crash at the end of September and I was planning on getting a set of 17" wheels but after the crash I think I need to drastically increase my riding gear. I got lucky I just got the wind knocked out of me and some road rash but healing up for 3 weeks wasn't fun. The bike held up really well and it was just a little scraping on the number plate, plastic on the hand guards and a little notch were the foot peg got slammed into the foot brake.

I saw the bump but thought it was small since it was in the shade but it was much bigger than I thought.

0C231F68-DBDF-41AE-BD24-9E99AF6CA9F0_zps

She was still a little dirt but the side guard took most of the damage.

468B6030-4883-494D-8C38-8A9D560AE02F_zps

My riding pants and jersey were all tore up but the helmet, gloves and knee guards took a lot.

8AFF6504-F3CC-471F-9CAE-83AEF973EE98_zps

5A3A5E65-2B61-43C0-A793-FF92F339E876_zps

F32BC422-E452-4B54-B4BC-E94275FBD164_zps

Edited by grayracer513
removed pictures containing vulgar language

With winter here, it's time to do the changes and fixes for next season.

Last year I was only able to get the suspension serviced so this year I got new springs since the ride was a little soft with my dry weight of 200 and an oversized gas tank and a camelbak with water and tools. I'm also doing the stator, finally replacing the bad clutch basket that I dealt with all season and while the clutch is out I'm gonna get a rekluse Z pro to finish it off. The tires just barley made it through the season so I'll be getting the Michelin S-12 Xc tires since they have good reviews.

So far I only got the springs and they came in yeasterday so now I just need to get time to put the rear on and take the forks off to drop them off to have the fronts done.
A11D3159-47A1-406D-8961-BF9F037A46C3_zps
F021ABCC-C223-4D47-8CEA-070521AF7DA2_zps

I started the tear down over the weekend. I bought a WR450 tank so the bike doesn't seam as big so I went with the blue plastics.
0C312C65-95CF-419C-9F6A-F2270E55AE62_zps
56893A30-CC20-44B7-8A39-85EE2F2401BF_zps
538D1D79-9250-49F5-97E3-4DBFE6501930_zps
BF024E1B-233C-4B93-8070-6991B4B7E368_zps
For the head light I bought the cheesy carbon fiber to cover the Yellow and it should hold up for the year and next year I'm gonna do a motor WR conversion to the wider ratio gear box and HD stator to run up to 100watts so I can run the Trail tech 70 watt light.
336875B3-4DB8-4182-A158-90EED5843CE2_zps

She's getting a little closer at getting ready for this season. So far I cut the bars 5/8s on each side so I'm at 33 1/2" total width with the hand guards, the shocks are set but the sag still needs to be adjusted, the 12 O'Clock tail light is on and fender is zip tied on the frame to finish up the wiring, the front brakes have been cleaned out and finally both wheels are back on. I still have to replace a few wire connectors on the light kit with waterproof connectors since I was having some issues last year, get the R6 head light switch wires spliced over to the DRC plug, change out the stator for the Electrex 35 watt stator, Hinson steal clutch basket and rekluse Z pro clutch, check the valves and put the Main jet back to 165.

AAC4FBFF-0F3E-4CEB-8E5D-710C9FF1FDE0_zps

33820C3C-C231-430A-B3E5-80D18319A4C9_zps

Nice bike, we have done a lot of the same stuff.  I ride a 09 YZ450f.  I went with a Ricky Stator stator because of bad reviews from other brands, how is your stator holding up?  Also, I want those 50th anniversary graphics so bad.  I think they would look sick on my blue plastics, kinda a Yamaberg feel. 

rLC3RTc.jpg

Nice bike, we have done a lot of the same stuff.  I ride a 09 YZ450f.  I went with a Ricky Stator stator because of bad reviews from other brands, how is your stator holding up?  Also, I want those 50th anniversary graphics so bad.  I think they would look sick on my blue plastics, kinda a Yamaberg feel. 

rLC3RTc.jpg

Thanks and the first one I'm not sure what really happened it to but it failed right away, the only thing I could figure out was it hit the header and shorted it out. I hope to get the 2nd one in next week but right now I'm just using the battery and hooking up the battery tender when she's parked. I haven't found too many good reviews on any of our stators so if it makes it a year I'll be happy cause next year I'll be doing the WR conversion on the crank to get the 100 watt trail tech stator and 5th gear so I don't have to feel like I'm gonna blow her up to keep up with the sport bikes or even my buddies wr400 on the smooth haul roads. The graphics I have are the ebay knock off style so they were pretty cheap.

Edited by 700rScott