HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Calhoun117

Off-road gearing that's mx friendly

9 posts in this topic

Ill be riding off-road mostly all the time with a ride at the tracks once a month during summer months, I'll be running a 13' 450, what's y'all's opinion on running 13,51 on the track just for fun? No serious competition other than between friends. I read that 13,51 is a good off-road set up and want your opinion on mx as well, I will be riding 70% off-road mind you. I also ride a 97 yz250 off and on the track with stock gearing and have no problems with that, just a reference.

Ill be riding off-road mostly all the time with a ride at the tracks once a month during summer months, I'll be running a 13' 450, what's y'all's opinion on running 13,51 on the track just for fun? No serious competition other than between friends. I read that 13,51 is a good off-road set up and want your opinion on mx as well, I will be riding 70% off-road mind you. I also ride a 97 yz250 off and on the track with stock gearing and have no problems with that, just a reference.

Really it depends on where you ride and how fast you are. A faster guy can use taller gearing simply because he's covering ground faster. Then if you ride in very different areas from one week to the next they need totally different gearing so it's really a compromise. I run a 51 on mine and that's already borderline too low on any track I've ridden and it's still a little tall when we tackle some really tight trails. I usually ride a gear high and clutch it anyway so it works for me. Unless you know you need to gear it down I'd just ride it where you normally go first and see what you think. The beauty is the 450s power bands so wide.

Thanks for the reply, it sounds to me it's almost a drastic difference in the track, I've been riding it here in there on the trail and I really enjoy technical stuff and feel that the 13,49 is just to low, feel my self clutching to often, but I really want to be able to enjoy the set up on the track as well, maybe a 13,50 will be a better choice? Just concerned one tooth wont be enough to give me the 1st gear creep I really want for the tech shit

Too high**

Thanks for the reply, it sounds to me it's almost a drastic difference in the track, I've been riding it here in there on the trail and I really enjoy technical stuff and feel that the 13,49 is just to low, feel my self clutching to often, but I really want to be able to enjoy the set up on the track as well, maybe a 13,50 will be a better choice? Just concerned one tooth wont be enough to give me the 1st gear creep I really want for the tech shit

Too high**

Yeah I hear ya. One tooth isn't really worth changing. Going lower than a 51 starts to make your gears really tight tho. I actually ran a 52 once just to see and it was fine in the really tight stuff, barely even used first. That was nice because the less you have to shift past neutral the better. But it was stupid in the open stuff. I just shifted constantly.

Thanks bro, I think I'm guna run a 51 for now, I won't be at a track till spring so well find out then, I think I'll probably like the 51 in the woods though

I ended up going with GYTR sprocket just because my dealer had a 40% off sale. I think it should be a pretty damn good sprocket comparing its qualities with other big brands...centerless, aluminum, heat treated/hardened..ill let ya no how it does