HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
berad01

2014 450 starting

14 posts in this topic

My dad and I both have the 14 Yz 450 and it seems like no matter what both bikes almost always start on the third kick. I'm just curious if it's like this with any other 14 models and the reason. Thanks for any input.

If I go out right now and start mine I would kick it slow 2 times and like you it will start on the third. I figure it takes a couple kicks to get the EFI to prime. If its been running and i go to restart it it fires up in one half bearted kick. On my wr you can hear the fuel pump prime because it has a battery.

My kx on the other hand might take 20 kicks to start, I love the fact the yz starts so easy.

If you hold your hand near the bottom of the gas tank while someone else kicks it, you can feel the pump run as it's kicked.  Once the fuel pressure is up, they usually start right up.

I read the thread topic and thought to myself "I wonder why he is having trouble starting his bike. Mine starts on the 3rd kick every single time". Lol.

This bike starts a lot like my '11 though and I'm sure it has to do with the FI. My 08 started almost every time on the first kick.

Edited by swaldrop

Thanks. Useful info. So if my bike stops running that's one thing I can check

My 14 came with a manual that outlines all of the troubleshooting, id follow that before I replaced a fuel pump as Ive yet to personally see one fail.  Also 3 kicks is nothing, you'd lose your mind on a an 08-09 Suzuki. Try 10-15 kicks when cold. 

My 14 came with a manual that outlines all of the troubleshooting, id follow that before I replaced a fuel pump as Ive yet to personally see one fail.  Also 3 kicks is nothing, you'd lose your mind on a an 08-09 Suzuki. Try 10-15 kicks when cold.

my 08 takes more like 30 kicks when cold but only one or two when shes warm

my 08 takes more like 30 kicks when cold

Try priming the engine with 3-4 twists on the throttle before kicking.  Cold only.

Try priming the engine with 3-4 twists on the throttle before kicking.  Cold only.

It's a 08 rmz450 fi

It's a 08 rmz450 fi

Yeah man the the fuel injected RMZ's are like an old diesel in sub zero weather. Once my 08 has been running a bit its 2-3 kicks though.