2009 yz450f with 2006 cdi, yellow plastic insert

Hello, I am writing this because on my 2009 yz450f I just replaced the cdi to a 2006 cdi as an upgrade. When I got the 06 cdi it didnt come with a yellow plastic insert that fits between the electrical prongs. Now I put yellow insert in from my 2009 cdi into the 2006 cdi and put it into my bike. The bike wouldnt even run past idle. I thought this was weird, I took the yellow plastic insert out and the bike runs fine now. However im wondering if this piece is important and should be in there or not. Does anybody know?

Haha, well I'll reply then...

I've got an '06 cdi in my '09, actually I've owned 2 '09 yz450f's and this ignition has been in both of them. I didn't take the yellow insert out of my '09 ignitions, I just ran the '06 as it was & it's been fine for 3 years. Hope that helps ?

Thank you so much for replying. I will put that yellow insert in. It must serve some purpose. Maybe when my cdi wasnt letting my bike go past idle i had the insert in wrong. I will try it again.

What I meant was that I'm running the '06 ignition without the plastic insert.

I may be mistaken, but I believe the insert should go into the plug (harness). I believe it is there to keep the plastic tabs that lock the wires into the connector from pushing out and coming loose. Again, not 100% on this issue, just going on what I have experienced repairing others

Yes gray racer i think your right. I put it in this time and pressed the cdi in very hard. Now my bike runs fine. I think before even though i clicked it in the prongs still where not making a good connection to the cdi, you have to make sure that its in tight.