Sag setting for 2012

Same for all years:

Start with 100/25mm and forks at the top of the clamps.

Fully geared up, at least a half tank.

That will give you the most neutral handling, if you can achieve that number without having the change front and rear springs.

The 100 is more important than the 25, for now, if you can't.

Thanks, Krannie, but everywhere I've read about sag for this bike, they mention sag settings at 90 or mid 90's.  My older WR would be not be rideable at those settings.

90 mm - http://www.motoonline.com.au/2012/02/24/first-ride-2012-yamaha-wr450f/

and per the Yamaha Factory tech's, 90mm here (paragraph 3) - http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=89708

The shop manual lists 90 - 100 mm.   

Would like to hear from those of you who have this bike and have played with the sag settings.

Edited by Navaho6

My 2003 and 2008 manuals both say 90-115mm.

That article, that guys says " 90mm sag and 5mm up in the fork clamps".....

Now that is certainly ride-able, but man oh man would you have some wicked over-steer!

I suppose for riding that is all tight and flat, that would be fine, but for rough terrain, IMHO, you would have to crank you steering damper down to -3 for the straights, and to -10 for the corners just to be able to turn the bars without swapping.....

That what would definitely happen on most bikes.  I guess the only way to find out is to try different settings. 

It's a shame but most of the time I ask other guys what their race sag setting is, they don't know and don't care (Mostly the slow guys).  Not that I am super fast but I can tell a difference in +/- 3mm in the rear.  I almost never pull my forks up in the clamps.  Stability goes South real quick.

I have a small x-mini track near my house. Dry, pot-holed straights,  notchy blow-out bermed corners. 

I take my bike up there, bring a hammer, a tire iron (to hit the spring nut with) a 17mm socket (for the high speed compression) and a small blade screw driver for the clickers, and spend an hour playing around. Sag usually ends up being 98/23 (no pack, no full riding gear, but full tank of gas) to 105/26 fully loaded.

I already have a 6.4 rear spring, so getting it perfect is really hard. 

• 1 month later...