HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Frank_B

50cc 2-stroke question

3 posts in this topic

I know this is a four-stroke forum but I'm hoping you can all be tolerant of a 2-stroke carb. issue.

I recently purchased a Malaguti scooter (50cc 2-stroke) for my wife. There was a slow fuel leak (drip) coming from one of the carb hoses. (I believe it was the float overflow... I didn't check closely because it's under warranty.) Anyhow, the dealer has had it for over a week now. I spoke to them yesterday and they told me they had the leak fixed but it wasn't running properly. I asked them what was causing the leak. He told me they removed the hose (the fuel was leaking from) and sealed the hole off with a screw. Seems to me if the carb. was engineered with that hole and tube, it was for a reason.

Anyhow, I'm interested in any comments on what the bowl overflow actually does; whether closing it off would affect the way the motor runs, etc.

Picture & specs (air-cooled model) ---> http://www.malagutiusa.com/models/phantom/index.asp

Neat looking scooter. :)

I don't think your dealer knows what he's doing. If there was a hole there with a tube attached then it should not be plugged with a screw. I'm sure the engineers put it there for a reason! If I were you I would pick up the scooter and take it to a different dealer.

If it is the overflow or vent for the float bowl that was dripping then something simple like a float out of adjustment, or a bad seal around the float valve could cause the bowl to overflow and drip from the overflow/vent tube. In this case plugging the vent would almost surely negatively affect the way that it runs.

I'm with Sir Thump. Plugging a carb vent is no way to cure that drip/leak. If the float is too high, excess fuel is vented through one of the hoses.