Yz450 or wr450? Pros and cons.

Did you say 'Carb Cleaner' ?? 

Hopefully you meant something else, or MC specific carb cleaner....cause automotive car cleaner will melt the internal parts of an FCR carb....

Compressed air won't remove a varnished block above the pilot. You have to send some 40 test fishing line up there....cause it's a right angle and it gets clogged in the corner.

I can't recall what I used the last time, something in a can that probably was designed for cars.  I don't have any damage to anything internal that I can see, nor have I ever from using carb cleaner.

I'll give the fishing line a shot when I have a chance to pull the bike apart to yank the carb again.

I can't recall what I used the last time, something in a can that probably was designed for cars. I don't have any damage to anything internal that I can see, nor have I ever from using carb cleaner.

I'll give the fishing line a shot when I have a chance to pull the bike apart to yank the carb again.

Paperclip works good too....

I can't recall what I used the last time, something in a can that probably was designed for cars.  I don't have any damage to anything internal that I can see, nor have I ever from using carb cleaner.

If it's 'green' carb cleaner, or 'CA' or 'EPA approved' carb cleaner, you will be fine.

If not, there are several areas that will at the very least distort, and at the worst, melt:

Slide plate seal

Float needle tip

Float needle seat seal

Fuel inlet orings

Hot start plunger orings

Choke plunger orings

Carb main body seal (yikes!)

Can you post up you symptoms? 

Specific symptoms?

Perhaps start a new post?

I'll bet your float height is off (rich)...

If it's 'green' carb cleaner, or 'CA' or 'EPA approved' carb cleaner, you will be fine.

If not, there are several areas that will at the very least distort, and at the worst, melt:

Slide plate seal

Float needle tip

Float needle seat seal

Fuel inlet orings

Hot start plunger orings

Choke plunger orings

Carb main body seal (yikes!)

Can you post up you symptoms? 

Specific symptoms?

Perhaps start a new post?

I'll bet your float height is off (rich)...

I always pull the choke plunger, hot start etc out so that the rubber parts don't get exposed to carb cleaner because it's not uncommon to have it destroy those types of seals.  I've seen NO evidence of physical damage to any internals.

I think you are on the right track with float height and that is my next move.

And yes, I apologize for the derail.  To get back on topic, if I can find a lightly used 12-13 WR somewhere close by I'm thinking real hard of putting it in the garage. Just need to convince the better half its a good move... we have a baby due any day and she's trying to be all responsible about our spending.  Women... they just don't get it!

Cowboy,

To start with, there is no aerosol carb cleaner product that will damage any part of the FCR-MX on your YZ450F.

Hot start leaks are internal, and usually the fault of the seal on the plunger.  When it fails, air simply leaks past the plunger from the front of the slide to the inboard air stream, not so much from outside.

For your jetting, I recommend a #45 pilot, a 165 main, and an NFLR needle at 3 or 4.  I've never liked the JD needles.

Read this thread: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/681801-bike-wont-start-dont-know-what-to-do/#entry6879695

A pin vise and a set of number drills running from 61-80 can be had at most hobby shops for a very reasonable price

Good info grayracer, thanks.  The JD jetting kit is one of those things I wish I hadn't spent the money on.  Not worth it in my opinion.

Get the WR. I just got one. It's an amazing bike. Great trail bike!! Electric start is nice and so are the wide pegs.

Good info grayracer, thanks.

The jetting I quoted is what I run in my '06 from 100' below sea level to about 4000'.  I pretty much never have to do more than tweak the fuel screw now and then.  At the high altitude range you ride in, you could end up with a 42/162 combo, but the 42 is a bit small at 3000 and below.

That jetting is for an '06 YZ450, not a WR. 

Just caught this thread.  Funny one asks as I have both a 06 WR and a 09 YZ.  06? after YEARS of racing..everything, dez, tight twoday qualifiers, 4,6,12,24hrs, mx...man I beat the crapola out of it!  I had starter problems, ruined a stator, and last year it ate 4th gear...if you pinned me down and ask "buy again?"...I would..absolutely.  You don't want to know how many fast, trick, mx bikes this "heavy slow WR" has passed, beaten AND outlasted.  I have gone thru countless brake pads, oil, bearings, one piston kit, ..expected things.  Still has a TON of stock items!  When I replaced 4th gear, I replaced piston again, and replaced the intake valves (really did not need to) and ..well..i could go on and on.  No hour meter until 2010 when I bought the 09 YZ, and since then it has 250hrs on it  and I don't ride it 1/4 as much as I used to...from late 05 to summer '10 it was my only bike and I trail rode, raced, and generally flogged.  When I redid it, we conservatively guess it has 600+hrs..probably more..and go ahead and laugh.  One year alone I did 10+ off road 100 mile races, several MX races, a 6hr and SOLO 24hr (425mi)...that does not include a ton of trail riding! Got the yz to race as it has to be better, right? it is! now my yz is more a XC bike, larger tank, armor, gearing, 18" rear rim, Rekluse CORE EXP..and it is EVERY BIT the trail bike as the beloved WR.  Loves the crap and craves abuse.  In short, I love them both, but if you pinned me down and I had to part with one, I would keep the WR for the versatility and lights.  My yz, the way it is set up, is just a cheater bike..so easy to go fast on and race.  Just pick your mount and enjoy it for what it is..balanced, reliable, fast and slow, great susp and just a great bike brand to own.  Yes, I am a happy Yamaha rider! :ride:

OH, and by the way, the 4yr old wiseco piston that came out of my WR went into a friends (no $$) 05 WR (his finally broke), and it has been in there since January and he rides waaay more than I do....see?  These bikes are tough...

Edited by WR450F_No28

Just caught this thread.  Funny one asks as I have both a 06 WR and a 09 YZ.  06? after YEARS of racing..everything, dez, tight twoday qualifiers, 4,6,12,24hrs, mx...man I beat the crapola out of it!  I had starter problems, ruined a stator, and last year it ate 4th gear...if you pinned me down and ask "buy again?"...I would..absolutely.  You don't want to know how many fast, trick, mx bikes this "heavy slow WR" has passed, beaten AND outlasted.  I have gone thru countless brake pads, oil, bearings, one piston kit, ..expected things.  Still has a TON of stock items!  When I replaced 4th gear, I replaced piston again, and replaced the intake valves (really did not need to) and ..well..i could go on and on.  No hour meter until 2010 when I bought the 09 YZ, and since then it has 250hrs on it  and I don't ride it 1/4 as much as I used to...from late 05 to summer '10 it was my only bike and I trail rode, raced, and generally flogged.  When I redid it, we conservatively guess it has 600+hrs..probably more..and go ahead and laugh.  One year alone I did 10+ off road 100 mile races, several MX races, a 6hr and SOLO 24hr (425mi)...that does not include a ton of trail riding! Got the yz to race as it has to be better, right? it is! now my yz is more a XC bike, larger tank, armor, gearing, 18" rear rim, Rekluse CORE EXP..and it is EVERY BIT the trail bike as the beloved WR.  Loves the crap and craves abuse.  In short, I love them both, but if you pinned me down and I had to part with one, I would keep the WR for the versatility and lights.  My yz, the way it is set up, is just a cheater bike..so easy to go fast on and race.  Just pick your mount and enjoy it for what it is..balanced, reliable, fast and slow, great susp and just a great bike brand to own.  Yes, I am a happy Yamaha rider! :ride:

OH, and by the way, the 4yr old wiseco piston that came out of my WR went into a friends (no $$) 05 WR (his finally broke), and it has been in there since January and he rides waaay more than I do....see?  These bikes are tough...

I totally agree with you on the durability of these WRs. I bought my 2006 new in Jan 2006 and just replaced it with a 2012 WR in August 2013. I estimate right around 1000 hrs on the 2006 and never touched the top end besides one valve adjustment and she ran great the whole time! I didn't have an hour meter on the 2006, but I have one on my 2012 and since August I have put a bit more than 30 hrs on it and I ride the same amount all year long which puts me at about 120 hrs a year. Multiply this by the 7.5 years I had the 2006 and you get 900 hrs! Most of that 7.5 years was before I was married and had kids so I figure it's fair to round up to 1k hrs as I used to have more time to ride than I do now.

Edited by woods-rider

The basic engine is robustly reliable compared with anything, really, especially when you consider the state of tune the YZ's are in.  My '06 YZ450 has over 300 hours on it with 4 cam chains (maintenance), 1 piston with rings, and 1 intake valve having been replaced, the last two items just two months ago. 

Neither the YZF nor the WR450 are perfect for their intended purposes as issued, but the reliability is why I ride Blue instead of anything else.

My son has a 09 wr450, didn't want it when I told him I was buying it, getting rid of a YZ450 with a mystery problem,  Put a YZ headpipe and FMF slip on I had on it.  Never heard another complaint, and he likes the Magic Button.

One more note (by the way, trust grayracer513, he is da man), at just over 180hrs (90% racing 40A) on the YZ450: decided to be nice to it and replace some stuff..so new piston kit, cam chain, gaskets, guides..as it was getting a bit noisy?  well...woah, power is much crisper (nice) and it is ready to rock and roll again.  My son is racing it now (he is a BIG man..i am a weenie) and I am on a 08 YZ250 "XC" and the beloved WR is my trail bike (retired from racing..except maybe some more 24hrs!)  I have absolutely positively NO complaints about the YZ450, other than..really, it is a cheater bike!! 

PS I never did thank Grey racer 513 on helping me get the dead-engine start drill down on the big YZ..many thanks!!)  I did put a rekluse in the YZ 250 and ..well..now THAT is cheating..you can start in gear, as you kick, you go!  fun stuff :)

THAT is cheating..you can start in gear, as you kick, you go!  fun stuff :)

If only I could get the YZ450 to start in gear like that (too much clutch drag, with or without the Rekluse). ...(sigh)

Yeah, sorry Sir GrayRacer, I could not on my reklused yz 450 either :(   I accidentally did it on the 250 2T on the trail, and was like..huh?! ..hmm..is it worth it? Yep..if you youtube search Big Sky XC 2013 you should find my long and boring vid, but it is fun to watch the start. :thumbsup:

"better to be a racer for a moment than a spectator for a lifetime"...getting older but still enjoying racing!