HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Phat Twin

Thinking of trading up. 2013 WR450 Questions

5 posts in this topic

I currently have a 99 WR400, totally set up for me in suspension (250+ with gear) and has all the other mods performed on it.  It runs pretty good, rips well for a bike its age.  I love it, ride it hard and it hasn't let me down at all.  But, its old technology, heavy up high and I would love to make the jump to newer technology and better suspension.  Sounds like I have already convinced my self to buy a newer WR, you say?  Is it worth it, is my question?

- Besides the suspension setup, what else needs to been done to a bike with FI?  Do the same type of mods have to occur as in the carburated WR's before FI?

- The fork rake, wheel base and seat heights appear to be negligible is difference between the years, but I know the weight and other differences lie in a more compact design.  Do they make tall seats for the bike, I am 6' 4".

- Can I buy oversized fuel tanks in the 3 gallon range?

- Being that the bike is FI, I should be able to put and FMF Q pipe without any modifications to the programming, correct?

- Also, what would be an acceptable price (Besides what I am willing to pay) for a left over 2013 WR450?

Any help to help me make my determination to buy the bike would be greatly appreciated.  

I would suggest doing a search per each of your questions as they have been asked before. Reason being is you will already have alot of responses/opinions.

No

Yes

Yes

No

You must buy the bike with the GYTR kit if you are going to ride it seriously.

Thanks, Kranny and everyone.  I knew you would come through.  I tried looking up some of the questions, but my search and google Fu appear to not be up to par, sorry.  Regarding the GYTR kit, you mean the plug/adapter and the tuner, correct?   If I bought a different exhaust , what changes have to occur?

Thanks!

I currently have a 99 WR400, totally set up for me in suspension (250+ with gear) and has all the other mods performed on it.  It runs pretty good, rips well for a bike its age.  I love it, ride it hard and it hasn't let me down at all.  But, its old technology, heavy up high and I would love to make the jump to newer technology and better suspension.  Sounds like I have already convinced my self to buy a newer WR, you say?  Is it worth it, is my question?  Yes...

- Besides the suspension setup, what else needs to been done to a bike with FI?  Do the same type of mods have to occur as in the carburated WR's before FI?  

- Tuner

- ECU

- Open up air box

- Change out throttle stop screw

- Pipe

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1010624-2012-wr450-hurt-feelings-missing-free-upgrades/?view=findpost&p=10633562&hl=%2B2012+%2Bwr450+%2Bwhat+%2Bto+%2Bdo

- The fork rake, wheel base and seat heights appear to be negligible is difference between the years, but I know the weight and other differences lie in a more compact design.  Do they make tall seats for the bike, I am 6' 4".  Yes...   http://www.gutsracing.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SFWR003

- Can I buy oversized fuel tanks in the 3 gallon range?   http://www.imsproducts.com/Products/index.cfm?ManufacturerSet=Yamaha&maD=true&ModelSet=WR450F&modD=true&yeD=true&siD=true&TypeSet=Fuel

Tank&SeriesSet=&sed=true&tyd=true&YearsSet=12-13&SizeSet=3.0 gal

- Being that the bike is FI, I should be able to put and FMF Q pipe without any modifications to the programming, correct? No, might be a little lean but will run fine.

- Also, what would be an acceptable price (Besides what I am willing to pay) for a left over 2013 WR450?

Any help to help me make my determination to buy the bike would be greatly appreciated.