2014 WR250F?

I keep searching for any news or rumors etc about the 2014 WR250 but can't find anything. It's not listed on Yamaha's website at all. If it was just a carry over with bold new graphics like the 450, you'd think they'd have that up already. So it makes me think it's getting the new frame, FI etc like its big brother the 450?

Anybody heard anything on this bike yet??

The Asian factories realize that general offroading in the US is quickly going the way of the dodo bird. No profit to be made in selling this type bikes so they are just milking the mx scene as long as it lasts.

So that's why they made an all-new updated WR450 with FI etc fpr 2012, because nobody rides offroad and there's no profit in it?

Where did I say no one rides offroad? Show me the profit Yamaha makes off the WR's.

You said "offroading in the US is quickly going the way of the dodo bird". Since dodo birds are extinct, clearly the implication there is offroad riding is going extinct as well.

I'm not privvy to Yamaha's P&L statements per model, are you? But if they're such a money losing venture, why in the world would Yamaha spend the R&D money to make an all new WR450 if nobody is going to buy or ride them? To lose even more money? That makes no sense

You said "offroading in the US is quickly going the way of the dodo bird". Since dodo birds are extinct, clearly the implication there is offroad riding is going extinct as well.

I'm not privvy to Yamaha's P&L statements per model, are you? But if they're such a money losing venture, why in the world would Yamaha spend the R&D money to make an all new WR450 if nobody is going to buy or ride them? To lose even more money? That makes no sense

I think it has more to do with the Jap manufacturers hoping folks will just buy motocross bikes. A miscalculation IMO.  KTM sells more bikes and they happen to be the manufacturer that offers the most options in bikes and has the biggest off road team.  I do however think yamaha will eventually offer the wr250 in a more yzf type trim with EFI and such. I hope.

In several states offroad is basically private land only. And that is shrinking, this affects sales of the wr, crfx models. And the loss of public lands is accelerating. And if you ask any dealer if there is real corporate profit to match the hassle with the various govt agencies you will see what I mean. The only inducement to making these bikes available is to enhance sales of more Yamaha products. Somewhat of a "loss leader" approach.

In several states offroad is basically private land only. And that is shrinking, this affects sales of the wr, crfx models. And the loss of public lands is accelerating. And if you ask any dealer if there is real corporate profit to match the hassle with the various govt agencies you will see what I mean. The only inducement to making these bikes available is to enhance sales of more Yamaha products. Somewhat of a "loss leader" approach.

That still doesn't explain the all-new WR450. If what you say is true, why bother? Just put BNG on the old 2011 model and call it good. Yet they chose to spend a bunch of money making a new bike. Why? To make that 'loss leader' an even greater loss?

That still doesn't explain the all-new WR450. If what you say is true, why bother? Just put BNG on the old 2011 model and call it good. Yet they chose to spend a bunch of money making a new bike. Why? To make that 'loss leader' an even greater loss?

Designing the WR450 was for a world market.  In a lot of countries it's a dualsport machine.  I wish they would make it a dedicated off road bike, but like others have said $$$.  Yamaha isn't run by a butch of idiots.  If profit is to be made I'd think they would go for it.  I think KTM has an advantage in the smaller markets because it is still run" like" a small company for motorcycle enthusiast. Yamaha has a global mind set which KTM is just beginning to explore (KTM 390 Duke for the Asian market).

Other than an existing frame and fi what is new? "New" bike, I don't think so.

Designing the WR450 was for a world market.  In a lot of countries it's a dualsport machine.  I wish they would make it a dedicated off road bike, but like others have said $$$.  Yamaha isn't run by a butch of idiots.  If profit is to be made I'd think they would go for it.  I think KTM has an advantage in the smaller markets because it is still run" like" a small company for motorcycle enthusiast. Yamaha has a global mind set which KTM is just beginning to explore (KTM 390 Duke for the Asian market).

So what your saying is that there are other countries but the US ? Incredible !

Other than an existing frame and fi what is new? "New" bike, I don't think so.

You still haven't answered my question... if the WRs have no market and such poor sales and Yamaha loses money on them as you claim, why would they spend one thin dime updating the 450 and not just put BNG on the 11 model and call it good?

Of course it's not brand spanking new from the ground up. But you bet your ass they spent R&D money making that bike. So again, why? Just to lose MORE money on every WR sold? Yeah right.

I keep searching for any news or rumors etc about the 2014 WR250 but can't find anything.

The same happened with the 2010 WR-250F in the USA:

There was none.

Then, there was a 2011 model.

Then, a 2012, and a 2013.

It could just be a case of leftover units being sold off to get rid of them, or it could be a case of getting rid of leftover units before a new design comes out.

We'd all like to see the latter, but outside the inner sanctum of the Yamaha factory, nobody knows.

The WR-250F has been the same machine since 2007, save for colors and graphics.

In the dirt bike world that's a long time, and the Yamaha factory knows this better than anyone.

One thing I do believe is that they won't come out with a new model unless they're convinced they can sell enough of them to justify the investment on the development.

I hope they do, but we'll have to stay tuned.

By the way, the pics in that photo gallery of the 2014 WR-250F shown on that European Yamaha website are, I do believe, simply 2012 or 2013 pics they used back then with 2014 graphics somehow Photochopped in place - those action shots look awfully familiar.

Edited by YZEtc

You have to look at the global (worldwide) picture, not just the U.S.

WR250F's are sold worldwide and have a rather large following.

Would not be surprised to see a new WR250F based on the 2014

YZ250F in the near future.

For what its worth, I own a 2012 wr250F.

Edited by moto120

Ya in all the dirt bikes I've seen in the trails, I've seen all of 2 off-road bikes, the rest were all mx bikes. These 4 strokes have so much torque so enduro bikes lost a lot of their market because when 2 strokes were dominant mx bikes, if you were offroad riding you didn't have much of a choice but to get an off-road bike cuz a lot of 2ts didn't have enough torque. Now a 4 stroke mx bike is almost as good for trails as an actual off-road bikes, and it's lighter and faster, so the enduro market is kinda dead

Well it must be different around here. I know a few people who ride MX bikes on the trails, but the overwhelming majority ride trail bikes... WRs, CRF-X, KTM EXC/XC etc. MX bikes are definitely NOT the ticket for trails around here, unless they've been modded for it. I really don't agree the enduro market is dead, it's huge in Europe and other places and going strong in the PNW.

I guess nobody has any actual info on what, if anything Yamaha is doing to the WR250 for 2014.