My first "&%$#@!" moment on my bike..

Yesterday I was taking ol girl out for a stroll, getting more practice in town and traffic, making myself practice techniques I normally avoid. At a red light this sorority girl was texting away in her range rover at a green light. In my usual road rage I tried honking my horn, and the bike shuts off. WTF? I frantically get in kick started and out of there praying not too many ppl saw me and raced on home.

Does anyone have a clue what caused this? Horn has worked fine for inspection/"does that thing have a horn" but the one time I try to actually use it on the road it poops on me.

Thanks

Dan

We don't know what you own, what year, or what is stock or modified.

For some reason, my horn wires aren't actually connected to my horn. Weird :D

sorry - its a plated '04 wr450 with the tusk enduro kit.

The thumb button on the left handle of my bike is a kill switch. 

Sounds like it worked flawlessly.

It's not wired up right.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1384215052.771817.jpg good one. Thanks for the help. I'll figure it out and post my findings in case this happens to someone else

Dude, just no way near enough info to help you.

Follow the Tusk lighting diagram.

I'm going to rip it apart soon. I didn't know if there was a common issue or if it had happened to someone else.

I'm going to rip it apart soon. I didn't know if there was a common issue or if it had happened to someone else.

Even though you say that is a Tusk one, it is similar to most. It is identical to mine which I got from Baja Designs. They all source the same supplier. Mine works but is currently just disconnected.

Sounds like you tapped into the ignition circuit to power your horn. When you hit the horn button it takes the ignition to ground.

Edited by Mtn-Track

That would make sense. The previous owner of the bike installed the kit so I'm not sure what all he did. He told me it was a Tusk kit. What should I look for? Follow wiring diagrams?