Beta 300RR vs. KTM 300XC any thoughts?

Just been watching and reading a lot on the 2013/14 Beta 300RR and it sounds very interesting. I recently sold a 2012 KTM300XC and I'm just curious if any of you new Beta 300RR owners came from a KTM 300 and how the two bikes compare. 

I know the magazines have compared them some but just wanted to hear thoughts from riders/racers like myself.

Thanks

Random comments, I tried an extremely well set up 250xc and a decently massaged Husa 300 before buying my 300rr last year: The Beta steers better than either. I am more confident on a bike that does not have an over 38" seat height. Beta does give up some ground clearance as a probably unintended consequence, invest in linkage protection of your choice if your ride gnarly stuff. Starter motor hands down the best of any dirt bike I've ridden. Admittedly did not try anything from Japan. I played with the stock suspension, mine is not the race model, for a tiresome half a day before sending it off to the tuner. For me anyway, it deflected too much off medium sized trail trash. Now I go over or through stuff I used to go around, Sachs can be made to work. The Beta is jetted very well but can be improved upon. Not fair to compare power wise to the 250xc, and the 300 Husa was faster, especially on the top end. No knowledge on if the engine was stock or not. Brakes work well enough, rear rotor wore out too soon and was replaced on warranty, sight unseen, no questions asked. Beta stands behind the bike, I came from an '11 GasGas 300, and have found parts availability the same or better than I am used too, both in the replacement and improvement categories. Hope at least a little of this helps!

• Like 2

Sacks forks will never be as good as 4CS fork, never. But they can be as close as anything else out there when valved correctly.

I've been racing new KTM 250's for years, and always chased the cornering bugs, and there seems to be a fine line where the KTM works really good, but with the suspension revalved on the Beta it turns better and holds a line better than the orange bikes.

Keep in mind also, Beta's come stock allot more sqiush than I've ran in the KTM's, maybe that's why there jetting is so clean and there just short of impossible to over heat.       

Edited by ktm300

Sacks forks will never be as good as 4CS fork, never. But they can be as close as anything else out there when valved correctly.

Actually the correct statement should be a rhetorical question as, 'can the 4CS forks be any good'?

As it seems (according to the first reviews on '14s), it still remains rhetorical.

Not ot mention that the equivalent of the 4CS in Beta's lin-up is the Marz SHIVER48 PFP (comparable only with a cone valve...).

Seems to be a lot of circular reasoning when it comes to guys and their forks.  I'm not convinced that the wp 4cs are anything more than a very clever marketing ploy unleashed by the good folks at ktm..

That could very well be. The most attractive thing about them is having both the rebound and compression adjusters at your finger tips.  Whether or not they work worth a darn is another matter. 

Keep in mind also, Beta's come stock with a huge amount of sqiush (double that of the K motor), I'd guess that's wht there jetting is so clean and there just short of impossible to over heat.       

I find that hard to believe. In fact you are talking complete BS!

Please do not post false info unless you know what your talking about. The  squish on my my stock 05 300EXC was right at about .083" or 2 mm (give or take a hair) measured with solder by me. I had the head done and have not measured the squish since (that was back in 07).

It would be doubtful that the Beta would even run with a .165" squish. FWIW less squish with proper fuel will give you a cooler running motor.

Opinions on suspension is one thing, handing out false info is just plain wrong.

I find that hard to believe. In fact you are talking complete BS!

Please do not post false info unless you know what your talking about. The  squish on my my stock 05 300EXC was right at about .083" or 2 mm (give or take a hair) measured with solder by me. I had the head done and have not measured the squish since (that was back in 07).

It would be doubtful that the Beta would even run with a .165" squish. FWIW less squish with proper fuel will give you a cooler running motor.

Opinions on suspension is one thing, handing out false info is just plain wrong.

I'll second that and back it up with real world experience...... My 2013 beta 300rr has .080" squish stock. I'll have to take your word for what a ktm has, I don't know.

So far as suspension goes, most will be better off with a open chamber Sachs fork than any brand of multiple chamber, complex, heavily marketed fork on the market. I am A level enduro and hare scramble and like my Sachs better than all twin chamber WP's, KYB's, Showas, and Marzocchi's that I've had. To be fair, I have not tried the 4cs but have heard some great reviews.

I'll second that and back it up with real world experience...... My 2013 beta 300rr has .080" squish stock. I'll have to take your word for what a ktm has, I don't know.

So far as suspension goes, most will be better off with a open chamber Sachs fork than any brand of multiple chamber, complex, heavily marketed fork on the market. I am A level enduro and hare scramble and like my Sachs better than all twin chamber WP's, KYB's, Showas, and Marzocchi's that I've had. To be fair, I have not tried the 4cs but have heard some great reviews.

It's been so many years I wasn't positive on the exact squish but remember it being around .080 or so. The closed chamber forks do look cool. Hell, I have a revalved set of 45 Marzocchi forks and Sachs shock and could not be happier. 

I really wanted to get the 300RR, but had to settle within my budget and refurbish my old beat up KTM. 

https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1053336-05-300-exc-refurbish-project/

The '14 Beta Sachs are a virtual clone of a current gen open chamber WP. The 48 PFP Marzocchi is an awesome fork. As delivered on my '13 300RR Race, it seems slightly biased toward more technical rocky stuff and as a result is the best stock setup I have ever ridden in this terrain. It has a very good range of effectivness. Only on the fastest whoops and chop would I like a little more and I'll tweak the valving a bit over the winter.

As far as squish goes all 2strokes I've been in are sloppy to account for crappy fuel. Did not check mine but it runs strong, jets clean, and idles smooth at 0-1000'. Even fuel consumption is good, way better than the 300 KTMs I've known. More motor than I need at my level for sure.

• Like 1

Keep us posted GP. I'm curious to know if the Beta version is specced similar to the GG ones. I've also been told that the oc 45's and 50s share the same piston design. Since you've been into them is that the case for the 48'pfp as well?

Keep us posted GP. I'm curious to know if the Beta version is specced similar to the GG ones. I've also been told that the oc 45's and 50s share the same piston design. Since you've been into them is that the case for the 48'pfp as well?

The gasgas and beta 48s are identical inside. There is no special shim stacks in the beta.

Guys thanks for all the opinions on the KTM and Beta 300s sorry to see the Thread turned into a squish and suspension discussion?

My bad. FWIW my jetting is spot on on my KTM 300. The short ride I had on the Beta was just plain sick! perfect jetting out of the box and I'm 100% positive the suspension is way better than anything KTM has to offer in PDS form.