New to WR

Just bought a new 2013 WR450F today. I get to pick it up tomorrow after they uncrate it, grease it and put it together. 

I think i got a decent deal. 7650 base price and then added tax and 100 bucks for doc fee. ~8k out the door. 

I was going to get a KTM 350 or 450, but i don't like the nearest KTM dealer; the dealer that i do business with only deals Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha. I was doing some reading on the new WR's and was pretty impressed and decided to check them out. 

I wasn't planning on buying this early, but the deal came up and at a good time since i'm racing this weekend and my old bike is having issues. Nothing major, just stuff that requires getting into the motor and also replacing the fork seals. 

So i'm picking the bike up tomorrow around 3PM taking it to the track, get used to riding a 4-stroke again, setting up the suspension and then racing a ~100 mile race Sunday. Should be interesting. (Unfortunately, i work 12hrs Friday and Saturday and i'm having new floors put in so i won't get much more time on the bike besides ~3-4hrs)

The consensus i read online is that they're pretty darned good. I also read that the motor is near bullet proof if you take care of it. 

The only thing i'm doing to it is putting the GYTR silencer and the competition ECU. Not sure what else i'd need besides an aluminum skid plate and i'm using my red bark busters off my other bike. It will look funny, but it beats cracking my knuckles on trees.

What does everyone think of the newer WR's??

Once you have the bike, re-grease the head tube, swingarm, pivot points etc. as the dealer will likely NOT do a suitable job of this.

Once you have the bike, re-grease the head tube, swingarm, pivot points etc. as the dealer will likely NOT do a suitable job of this.

Because of the time constraints, i had them put in the contract that they would re-grease the linkage, head, swingarm, and wheel bearings before i'd sign the final dotted line.

If it were me, when time permitted I'd still check their work. I use the waterproof marine grease- Marine grade greases (quality ones) typically use Aluminum complex or Calcium Sulfonate.

Keep us posted on how you like it.

Just broke it in yesterday evening in less than ideal conditions. It's been raining steadily for 1 and a half days and there was a consistent 3-5inches of mud everywhere. Just riding it how it is, i'm really surprised at the pull of it and how stable it is in those kind of conditions. The one thing that caught me by surprise is the short twist throttle. I guess that's because you're not actually pulling the slide in a carb?? At first i figured there was a throttle stop like a screw of some sort, but it sounds like it's all in the mapping for the ignition and FI. I was bit worried how it would work to race it this Sunday how it is, but it was still easily pulling up the front wheel in 3rd gear in the muck. 

I'll spend the next two days at work and reading the service manual between actual work : P. Lots to learn about this new bike.

Couldn't set up the suspension too much since it's hard to gauge it in such muck, but i set up the sag and stiffened up the front a bit and it really seemed to stick well when pushing it around 20mph through tight trails.  

Overall, on the limited time/conditions i have on it I'm really happy. It's super easy to ride. the motor has a smooth power delivery and seems to pull nicely when you want it to. After i put the competition ECU and FMF silencer on it, i think it will be near perfect for me. 

Now i just need to find the time to put good oil in it between now and Sunday while working 12hrs today and Saturday and having the in-laws come today and Saturday as well to help put in hardwoods. Then, be up and at the track at 8-8:30AM for the Moose Run (usually ~100 mile race that used to be known as the hardest in the US). Will be interesting to say the least. 

Here's a picture of it in the usual dry gravel parking lot:

j372.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Edited by MyersAvionics

If it were me, when time permitted I'd still check their work. I use the waterproof marine grease- Marine grade greases (quality ones) typically use Aluminum complex or Calcium Sulfonate.

Definitely. After the race this Sunday it will get a full tear-down and i usually use Bel-Ray waterproof grease on everything. Seems to have worked on the last 20ish bikes : P

Make sure that the throttle stop screw has been removed. A replacement screw is included with the comp ECU to plug the screw hole. If that throttle stop screws is still in there, wait till you ride the bike without it.

Make sure that the throttle stop screw has been removed. A replacement screw is included with the comp ECU to plug the screw hole. If that throttle stop screws is still in there, wait till you ride the bike without it.

I know the screw stop is there still. Would you happen to know if i can just replace the screw w/o buying the ECU? I've ordered the ECU kit that includes the screw, but it won't get here until next week and after i race it. 

Looking at the screw differences, it looks like i could match it up with something else as long as i get the safety torx type screw driver. Is this possible, or is it best to just wait to get the screw  replacement?

I know the screw stop is there still. Would you happen to know if i can just replace the screw w/o buying the ECU? I've ordered the ECU kit that includes the screw, but it won't get here until next week and after i race it. 

Looking at the screw differences, it looks like i could match it up with something else as long as i get the safety torx type screw driver. Is this possible, or is it best to just wait to get the screw  replacement?

Yea its not like the YZ's or older WR's. There is a hard stop casted into the body. So you only need to plug the hole. You could add a bit of silicone. You don't even know what your in for. The stock bike is 18 HP after the screw is out add the comp ECU and map, put a FMF pipe on and its about 48 HP.

Yea its not like the YZ's or older WR's. There is a hard stop casted into the body. So you only need to plug the hole. You could add a bit of silicone. You don't even know what your in for. The stock bike is 18 HP after the screw is out add the comp ECU and map, put a FMF pipe on and its about 48 HP.

That's a massive difference. I'll have to see if i can at least get the screw out before Sunday. Otherwise, i think it will be ok for one day. It's mostly tight trail stuff and i'm only riding the B class : P.

Unfortunately, i won't get the Comp ECU until mid-late November since they're on back order. Seems like it's the first thing people buy when getting the newer WR's. 

Just broke it in yesterday evening in less than ideal conditions. It's been raining steadily for 1 and a half days and there was a consistent 3-5inches of mud everywhere. Just riding it how it is, i'm really surprised at the pull of it and how stable it is in those kind of conditions. The one thing that caught me by surprise is the short twist throttle. I guess that's because you're not actually pulling the slide in a carb?? At first i figured there was a throttle stop like a screw of some sort, but it sounds like it's all in the mapping for the ignition and FI. I was bit worried how it would work to race it this Sunday how it is, but it was still easily pulling up the front wheel in 3rd gear in the muck. 

I'll spend the next two days at work and reading the service manual between actual work : P. Lots to learn about this new bike.

Couldn't set up the suspension too much since it's hard to gauge it in such muck, but i set up the sag and stiffened up the front a bit and it really seemed to stick well when pushing it around 20mph through tight trails.  

Overall, on the limited time/conditions i have on it I'm really happy. It's super easy to ride. the motor has a smooth power delivery and seems to pull nicely when you want it to. After i put the competition ECU and FMF silencer on it, i think it will be near perfect for me. 

Now i just need to find the time to put good oil in it between now and Sunday while working 12hrs today and Saturday and having the in-laws come today and Saturday as well to help put in hardwoods. Then, be up and at the track at 8-8:30AM for the Moose Run (usually ~100 mile race that used to be known as the hardest in the US). Will be interesting to say the least. 

Here's a picture of it in the usual dry gravel parking lot:

j372.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

She's a diiiiirty girl!!!

:devil: