What do the top extreme enduro riders use for a rear tire?

I was just wondering what tire brands and  exact models of tires that the top guys use when they win these races... Erzberg, The Tough one, Hells Gate, Romaniacs etc.. Extreme Lagares and others. I'm more interested in the tires used in muddy slippery stuff .  I haven't seen which tires are used exactly. I have a tough race coming up and it's probably going to be wet slippery and brutal and maybe I'll try something else if it works better. I'm going to need all the help I can.

• Like 2

Jarvis runs a GoldenTyre GT216 "gummy edition". You can literally twist the knobs 180degrees with you fingers.....Combined with a drilled out Mousse and you have yourself a killer combo.....

David Knight also runs GT216s...

We have a few in the shop and some of the racers are using them with excellent feedback. I myself haven't used one but I should have one mounted up come Nov 9th....

Edited by originalmonk
  • Like 6

Monk, you work at RTR?

No....I own a landscaping company in Kamloops.

I buy stuff here and there from RTR and like the staff there but probably will never buy a bike from them as they don't seem to want to deal at all. I buy my new bikes outta Kelowna at Valley Motosports. I deal with Geoff at GP Moto. He's pretty much the go to guy for Goldentyre's. Out sells everyone by decent margins...

• Like 2

Coming from a double A uncle of mine "Michelin Cross S-12 Soft will grab in any muddy condition" 

There are some that like S-12's but I have to say I've tried them and they suck big time for our soil..(especially wet) here. It packs up and doesn't clear out like the Pirelli MT16's that I normally run. I was so pissed at one race because I bought a brand newmonster S-12 for a race and there was a 2 inch layer of clay mud stuck on the tire all the way around my rear tire..  I saw guys riding by me with MT16's all cleared out  while I as stopping and digging out mud with sticks. I would have done better with my half worn MT16 that cleans out . We have some slippery clay mud that is super slippery at times and also packs something fierce. With the S-12 the tread lasts long but the tire just doesn't hook up well. Guys end up dropping their pressure to 5 lbs and down to like 3 or less when it's in the super slick conditions.. say a week or 2 of steady rain minimum.. Our race we are having out at Kahuku should be a good brutal race.. especially if it rains but even if it doesn't. It will be the typical very few finish type of race and even fewer with all their checks. I've been using Motoz with good results.. The sidewall lasts way longer than the Pirelli's that work good but end up shreading to pieces. Still I'm always open to see what else works . I wouldn't have found Motoz which work pretty damn good and last long even with very low pressure. We usually just use a very heavy duty tube and super low pressure (a few pounds..3-5 ?) when it's the psycho miserable slippery I don't know if we can get out of here by night time rides. My knee is screwed so I'm looking at using my Beta for this race and use the Button. That's very unlike me. I normally would ride my cr 250 or gasgas in this type of race. This is 2 stroke country and I may be taking the wrong chance not using the lighter bike that I pretty guaranty will have to be pushing and carrying at some place... So what does this all mean?    I want the best tire I can find!!!!!!! Thankyou everyone for sharing where you can!

I was talking to the tire guy(I don't want to disclose what brand) at an extreme enduro about what tires the pros were using at the venue since it was the same terrain I ride on. He admitted they use custom compound tires that aren't available to the public.

Goldentyre GT216-X , had a 3 days riding school with Jarvis this summer , after 1st day his rear was almost destroyed , but he keept it for the rest of the 2 days and the tyre still hooked up like crazy.

I don't think it matters what tires the top guys use. They are so talented, I think it may be a moot point at times. I went to Shane Watts' school and he had an almost bald Maxxis on the back of his bike and was doing things that I could only dream of doing.

• Like 10

I just wanted to see what anyone could come up with. ... I figure the pros will have the very best and so what if the tire only lasts one ride. That's one of the reasons I had written off the goldentyre earlier. It just doesn't last from what I've heard . It's expensive and a race tire I guess...which means it works awesome for a day or 2 in bad conditions. Normally I want a tire that's going to last a decent amount of time and still work when it's half worn.. Still i just was wondering about what would be the best we could get off the shelf. Maybe that's the more important question.

• Like 1

Some tire manufacturers have  "race compound" tires. Anyone I know who has used them say that they are like cheating. They are basically regular looking knobby tires made from a rubber that feels a lot like a front line trials rear tire.

I don't know how to obtain them.

• Like 2

I just wanted to see what anyone could come up with. ... I figure the pros will have the very best and so what if the tire only lasts one ride. That's one of the reasons I had written off the goldentyre earlier. It just doesn't last from what I've heard . It's expensive and a race tire I guess...which means it works awesome for a day or 2 in bad conditions. Normally I want a tire that's going to last a decent amount of time and still work when it's half worn.. Still i just was wondering about what would be the best we could get off the shelf. Maybe that's the more important question.

The standard GT 216 is the tire you want, not the "gummy". I guarantee its the type of tire your looking for....

• Like 1

The standard GT 216 is the tire you want, not the "gummy". I guarantee its the type of tire your looking for....

I guess i'll have to look around more and see availability of different models. It seems USA goldentyre doesn't show.. I did see this interesting tire.. It's expensive ... Have you or anyone you know tried this? I'm not a trials tire guy so much but I'm open to whatever works..

http://www.goldentyreusa.com/GT_255_256_TC_FR.html

I'm probably going to sipe my almost new MOTOz  to give it a little more edge..but till looking to see what's out there. Our Ossa dealer just up the street has some gt 216x's for sale for $140  That's good from what I've seen..shipping is bad in Hawaii.

Ok I'm seeing it now... I was on the wrong page.

http://www.goldentyreusa.com/Enduro.html

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Seriously most of these guys run tires from the manufacturer that sponsors them, it doesn't matter what brand, free tires and money talk. I'm sure they also have special tires for the top guys with different compounds for different area just like they do with road racers. 

• Like 1

Here's one review... I'm wondering if this is a 216 or a 216X or if this is an earlier test without the full current line of tires.

http://www.directmotocross.com/news/features/2011/07/dmx-tested-goldentyre-gt216

First, I know Steve quite well, I race against him, he is a top A rider winning the Expert Championship last year. During this test I would think he was racing Intermediate. I also know Mike Nicoles quite well, he supports offroad racing and was seen regularly at the offroad races in 2012. His kid races motocross so we didn't see Mike much at the HS rounds this year but he will be back next year. The tire test was a few years ago and was not the "X" and was specific to the smaller 120 size. They are still good tires but wear badly due to their smaller sized knobs. The 140s came out last year and I swear on my life I was the first guy to put them to the test. The 140s are nothing like the 120s. The 216X was only introduced into Canada this year and only in the last month or 2. A couple racers here are using them but feedback is limited as they only got 1 round on them. As for the original 216 in the 140 size, it's a big tire! And I can guarantee you a lasting tire... Lots of people are still skeptical of their performance as they do not have the name of Dunlop or Michelin....

• Like 2

Not on topic, but Geoff at GpMoto is really knowledgeable and passionate and his shop rocks!

Mike Nichols is such an awesome guy, as well as the rest of the Nichols. I'm excited to see Sam race pro next year.

Also, Goldentyres are awesome and I'm glad people here are willing to try them.

• Like 1