HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gadsen

GTY-R insert on an 01 WR426F

20 posts in this topic

OK, I bought this GTY-R insert last spring and it didnt fit right, asked a few questions, but without being able to post pictures, no one really had an answer. OK, figured out the picture part, I bought this insert and the fit is about a 1/4" loose in the WR muffler outlet. I have pictures of the part, part number and what it looks like installed temporarily. I want to know if others who have this in their WR, does it fit this poorly? Do I have a sleeve or something that is missing (instructions show no sleeve) or is this mis bagged etc, ie maybe a TTR part :). Package shows it fits my 01WR426, but in reality, it doesnt. Its brand new. And I cant return it, been too long. So if it doesnt fit mine, it needs a new home. :D :D :Dgyt-r%20001.jpggyt-r%20002.jpggyt-r%20004.jpggyt-r%20005.jpg

Weird, the one I had wasn't even close to that loose. The PMB I have now is much tighter than the GYRT and comes with and o-ring as well.

Not sure what to tell you on that one.

That is very strange. I have the same bike and tip, mine fits perfect. I would assume it was mis-packaged.

I would get another one.

I also had one that fit fine, but choked off the power too much so I changed pipes.

Looks like you got the one for the 250F :) But the package says for both ??????

Mine fit much tighter then that. The PMB one fits really tight though in comparison.

Fryboy

Heck, I'm at the end here. Maybe its for a TTR250 or something. Frustrating. Now I have to buy a second one to get one that fits. Anyone have a TTR250 they wouldnt mine measuring the muffler outlet size? I do have a Vor-Tip for it and it fits perfectly. But like the looks of the yamaha insert much better. I'll make anyonbe a killer deal on it, brand new, just doesnt fit what is says it does! :)

I'd take your bike and receipt down to your dealer where you bought it and return the thing. Tell them you want an even exchange because what they sold you was incorrect.. Talk with the manager, not some idiot behind the counter.

Ok, just visited a site that allows you to look up Yamaha parts with a number. It comes up as a muffler insert for a WR250. I used Powersports Pro, tried to look up my 01 WR426, and they no longer have any pictures in the breakdown. Does anyone know where I can find a good site with good prices and a breakdown which allows me to look up my own parts? Oh, if anyone would be interested in a GTY-R insert for a WR250F, I'll make you a killer deal! :)

I have a ttr 250, a wr 400 with a 426 pipe on it and my buddy has the 250 all of the above parts are interchangable. I have used the PMB in all three, and the stock insert fits all three. THe ttr has a little bit different end cap and had to run every thing backwards ( tube sticking out the wrong end, it pass sound so I don't care) But basically the diameters are the same.

Toyota:

I'll send you my old one. cheap. contact me.

Tom

You have been "PM'd" :)

Whats the outside diameter of the insert?

1 and 13/16" (a smidge over 1 3/4") :)

Hey Toyo

Just got the insert. Thanks, and it fit's my pipe perfectly. I still don't no why it didn't fit your tip... tell us when/how the mystery is solved.

Hey Toyo

Just got the insert. Thanks, and it fit's my pipe perfectly. I still don't no why it didn't fit your tip... tell us when/how the mystery is solved.

Good deal. I did finally figure out why, I'd never been able to figure it if I didnt email the original owner on the bike. As it turns out, he couldnt get an insert, the "new" 426 model inserts didnt exist at the time, so he bought it for a 400 and was told it would fit. It apprears the 400 has a larger outlet, so he took the spout section of the muffler to a muffler shop and had it expanded to fit the insert. I doesnt even look modified, but it is. So now I'm haggling with another member in here on buying his old take off WR muffler so I'll have the right outlet diameter. He laready shipped me the insert, and for nothing! TT folks stick together like glue! Anyway, I'm watching a couple on ebay now, and I'm waiting for the reply from the TT member. Otherwise, I can always just "sleeve" the insert for a good fit. Be nice ot make this quiet. I have a Vor-Tip for it, but it looks restrictive compared. Hopefully, this saga will be behind me and I'm sporting around the woods whisper quietly. :) Thansk to everyone on the input, this is one of those cases, no one would of been able to figure it out, so you guys are all off the hook! :D

Toyo,

What jetting are you using with the insert? I have decided to go full time with the insert, but need to go a lot leaner due to plug-fouling.

TIA,

Bryce

Ok, just visited a site that allows you to look up Yamaha parts with a number. It comes up as a muffler insert for a WR250. I used Powersports Pro, tried to look up my 01 WR426, and they no longer have any pictures in the breakdown. Does anyone know where I can find a good site with good prices and a breakdown which allows me to look up my own parts? Oh, if anyone would be interested in a GTY-R insert for a WR250F, I'll make you a killer deal! :)

I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but the Yamaha site (www.yahama-motor.com) will let you look up part numbers with illustrations and part numbers.

Also, if you click on the accessories tab you will find all of the GTY-R stuff and the 5TJ93-75 baffle is supposed to find every WR made.

Hope this helps. :)

This whole thing is strange because I have a '99 WR 400 and one of my regular riding buddies has an '01 WR 426. We put my insert in his muffler just to see how it runs and it fit perfectly.

I'm not sure what the deal is, but the muffler i have has been expanded at the outlet. Now if anyone in here has a pretty nice take off WR 426 muffler, a few scratches would be ok, but no dents, I'd be interested in buying it for a reasonable price? PM me if you have a take off thats in your way. Otherwise, I'm just going to build a collar and make the insert fit my expanded muffler spout. :)

If you have one that looks as nice as this one on Ebay I'd pay a fair price?