Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Greg Pennsiltucky Lykens

Front wheels same in 14 as 13?

5 posts in this topic

My injury is over. I am back to riding.  I am getting a new 2014 YZ 450 very soon.  I know the axle for the new 2014 is different than 2010-2013.  So do the wheels fit each other?

Reason I am asking is I have some high dollar TTX 22 Ohlins forks that I bought in 2012.  I don't think they will fit the new axle, but the US importer said Sweden said they would, but they haven't tried the new 2014 yet.

Kinda confused.  If they don't fit, I will not be happy, but they will go on sale. If they fit, I'm keeping them

Info would be appreciated...

Edited by Greg Pennsiltucky Lykens

The rear axel is different....

That being said is it too hard to bolt up your Ohlins stuff and check? Report back your findings.....

The rear axel is different....

That being said is it too hard to bolt up your Ohlins stuff and check? Report back your findings.....

Rear axle is the same.  Front is different.  If they don't fit, I'm selling and buying new.  Just got off 4 month injured reserve, so if it's the same, good.  If not, well then I guess I need more money.

The rear shock doesn't fit.  That is a no brainer, so the  Ohlins shock is for sale.   Already have that on order.

If your stuff (forks) have low hrs.,change the bottom lugs($900)@coppersmith. My buddy is running his 2010's extra wheel ,on his 14.Just bought a 10-13 front axle works great,feels the same.New ohlins forks are $3000,cartridge $1200,new front wheel& axle $600-800,clean used $400? All new is always very cool,just a lot money.

If your stuff (forks) have low hrs.,change the bottom lugs($900)@coppersmith. My buddy is running his 2010's extra wheel ,on his 14.Just bought a 10-13 front axle works great,feels the same.New ohlins forks are $3000,cartridge $1200,new front wheel& axle $600-800,clean used $400? All new is always very cool,just a lot money.

I have thought about that.  Both the lug thing and just use an old 2013 wheel. Andre at Coppersmith is a good guy. He said we can sell the forks for good money. They just got a 20 hour redo on them.

He also said some things go backwards two steps when the manufactures move forward a step.  Gave me numerous accounts on this with different teams concerning frames, motors, etc.

So no, the wheels are different.  He didn't know this (Andre) till about 2 weeks ago. I don't think Ohlins even knew this, as I probed further when I was told the 2010-2014 forks would all be the same. 

I guess the 2014 TTX forks are a new design-supposed to be smoother and better bottoming resistance. Cripes they were good before-and they made the bike steer really well like a RM.