should I buy a WR450 or a WR250?

Please give me your thoughts.(more info on my post @ 250 forum)

I think we need to know a little about you (size/weight), riding level, terrain, etc to advise one way or the other. I got a 426 last year, but I sometimes wish I had the 250. I never use all my bike...

Brandon WR426

I,m 40yrs and 185lbs w/o gear. Getting back into riding after too many years. Have recently rode friends CR500 and YZF426. I can handle the power, but wonder if a smaller bike would be less tiring while still giving some thrills. I don't need to beat my friends, but would like to keep up. I have a ranch in Oregon, no trees but lots of rocks and hills.

Thanks for the input.

Get the 450 and latter if you want somthing to play on

pick up a 125 CR,KX,RM to flick around tracks or jump.

I rode a WR250 that was stock and I think that my 1974

yamaha 125 had more spunk.

I lived out side of Myrtle Creek Or and just sold the

ranch two years ago it was a great place to ride and hunt

however the price was right.

01 WR 426 and love it :) good luck Jerry

Get the 450.

I'm a 250 owner, I posted in the 250 section too. Get the 450. Only $600 more, and if 16 lbs means anything between WR models, then why bother with a WR if you care about that little of a weight difference? :) You'ld get a YZF if you cared.

"I'm a 250 owner, I posted in the 250 section too. Get the 450. Only $600 more, and if 16 lbs means anything between WR models, then why bother with a WR if you care about that little of a weight difference? :) You'ld get a YZF if you cared."

Thanks to everyone for the great advice. Sounds like the 250 and 450 are both good bikes for what I'm wanting to do.

I ordered a WR450 today. It will be a couple of weeks before I can pick it up though, (the dealer has two on order). There are lots of bikes at other dealers in my area, but I went with the one who uncrated a new YZF250 and let me ride it in the mud, knowing that I had no plans to buy it.

When you consider the price of a new bike, I can't beleive that dealers look at you like you are "NUTS" when you want a test ride before you get out your checkbook.

Thanks again!

mjb

Great choice! You'll love it! Sounds like you have got yourself a great dealer too!

DD

I sat on the 2004 450 two days ago. Niiiiiiice! Very Nice! :D :D :D

I'm really happy for you! :)

uncrated a new YZF250 and let me ride it in the mud,

That is almost unbelievable :D

I knew a Honda/Yamaha shop in Barstow where the guy would let you do the same if you put a deposit down. Then he'd let you try 1 or 2 floor models. He's probably dead now, but his name was Barney, he owned the place. Every time I would enquire about a specific bike, he'd always say this "Oh, that bike? It's a good bike!" Like nothing ever was a dof or sucked. He wouldn't even bait and switch. Which I wish he had.