Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
filfido

Cam Chain Rivet Links

8 posts in this topic

Hi All

Finally getting around to switch out the cam chain, adjuster etc on my 2004 WR450F.

I was going to buy the standard Cam chain (98XRH2010-118M) and split it & then rivet it back together so I don't have to pull the entire motor apart.

Trouble is I cant seem to find a rivet link to suit.

The couple of cam chains I've found online that come already split with a rivet link are around $100 when the endless part is around $20.

Question is can anyone point me in the direction of a site that would have a suitable rivet link for the OEM chain or a better priced split chain?

Thanks for any help.

Phil

you don't have to pull the entire engine apart, buy the endless chain, and a clutch cover gasket and call it good. WIll give you the opportunity to inspect the clutch basket for wear while you're in there.

you don't have to pull the entire engine apart, buy the endless chain, and a clutch cover gasket and call it good. WIll give you the opportunity to inspect the clutch basket for wear while you're in there.

I think its the flywheel cover that needs to come off and a flywheel puller is needed. You just need to pull the flywheel. Not a big deal if you have the right tools like the puller and socket for the nut. 

Edited by vlxjim

AH, YOU'RE RIGHT. Been a while since I've been in the Yamaha that far, have spent a lot more time on our Honda 's as of late. Still, even with the tool that is less than a $100 open end chain.

YUP, you need to get into the head enough to take the cams out, and into the left case enough to get the flywheel out (requires a special puller and some method of holding the flywheel to remove/install/torque the nut.  

another vote for the endless chain.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll go for the endless chain and use the difference to get a puller for my toolkit.

I was thinking of changing the chain guides at the same time. Looking at the exploded view in the manual it looks like if you have the flywheel off you could get to the bolt that holds the rear guide in place to change it?

The front guide looks to be located in a slot in the bottom end and held in place by the cylinder (not looking to pull the cylinder off) so think I would need to leave that one as is.

Phil

I HIGHLY doubt you'll see any noticeable wear on your guides.  I would bet you will wear out your crank gear long before that.  Keep that engine clean, btw!