Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zien19

2008 YZ450F Muskeg Help

4 posts in this topic

Hello All

My brother in law has a 2008 YZ450 and he went on a trail ride that incorperated muskeg. When he went to do a service he found muskeg in the fillter and the oil milky.(entered through the crankcase vent we assume). So now the problem. He serviced the bike and now has no oil flow to the tank. It has pressure on the screw half way up the engine but no matter what the tank gets no oil on the dipstick. We then pulled the clutch cover off and the clutch apart. It looked good and the oil was clean. There is still flow through the filter. We also pulled the top valve cover off and there is oil in the top end. The right amount of oil is in the bike and it seems to burn a bit too. We believe some oil galaries are pluged and was wondering if anyone has run into this before. At this piont i think it will be a total tear down. Keep in mind we have not run the bike very long as we are scared to do so. About 5 min total so enough to show in the tank. Thanks in advance.

If it actually has oil pressure at the top end oil pressure tap screw, oil must necessarily be getting to the tank in some quantity.  If you have to wipe the stick clean before you dip the tank with it, that's further evidence that there is at least some return oil. 

But the oil pump could have been damaged by something you sucked up, so it's worth investigating if you think there's a problem.  Open the right side up, remove the clutch, and then the oil pump.  Look for a sheared drive pin among other things. 

If it actually has oil pressure at the top end oil pressure tap screw, oil must necessarily be getting to the tank in some quantity. If you have to wipe the stick clean before you dip the tank with it, that's further evidence that there is at least some return oil.

But the oil pump could have been damaged by something you sucked up, so it's worth investigating if you think there's a problem. Open the right side up, remove the clutch, and then the oil pump. Look for a sheared drive pin among other things.

. Thanks Gray I really appreciate the advise.

I suspect your 08 450 has the same oil system as my 2012 WR 450.

On the shift lever side about half way up is an oil bleed screw to check if oil is getting to the top end. If I were you, I'd pull the valve cover and flush the crankcase with a clean solvent. Then I'd refill it and start it and idle it, watching the valve train bleed screw. Then check the oil. If it looks milky, repeat again.

FYI, I just rerouted the breather system on my WR. I looked at the breather system on the YZs and decided against doing a simple cut off hose like they have. I maintained the stock WR route of the breather going into the air box. After reading your post, I am glad I did.