GYTR tuner can't communicate with the ECU ?

It does NOT work. As soon as one shuts off the bike the programmer dies.

There must be a load on the WRs that is not present on the YZs. I'll try NiMHs next.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy

I installed fully charged Panasonic 2050 maHr NiMH batteries in my GYTR tuner. When I connect it to my bike and try to turn it on, I can hear the fuel pump clicking but the programmer itself will not turn on.

I removed the lighting resistor. It made no difference.

As far as I know the YZ and the WR use the same fuel pump and fuel system, except that the WR has a fuel level sender.

What I don't understand is why the diode was placed between the programmer and the ECM and not the whole bike and the ECM ?

Right now the diode prevents the programmer from powering up the entire bike, including the ECM.

If they moved the diode earlier in the circuit, it would prevent the programmer from powering up the rest of the bike, but allow it to power the ECM. However, then the ECM voltage would be dropped by the diode forward voltage, about 0.6 volts.

I still don't know how the programmer is able to power the YZ and yet not the WR. I suspect the YZ ECM doesn't enable the fuel pump when the programmer is plugged in ?

There are several potential solutions. 1) Power the bike with a battery when programming it. 2) Try moving the diode. 3) Disconnect the fuel pump when programming. #1 and 3 are a PITA. #2 would be the simplest if it doesn't impair the starting and operation of the bike.

Is the ECU the stock model??

Its the competition ECU.

I've come to the conclusion that the WR ECU requires 12 volts to allow the programmer to communicate with it. I would call Yamaha of America and ask them the question, this WR 450 was designed to be able to remove the battery and starter how my supposed to program it? If I were you I would just carry around a little 12 V gell cell or 11.1 V RC plane battery pack and put a plug in that you can plug it in when you need to program.

I'd rather move the diode or mount a switch that shuts off the fuel pump than carry a battery.

I'll test it first by disconnecting the fuel pump.

How does one call Yamaha USA ?

Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA 
6555 Katella Avenue
Cypress, CA 90630

Customer Relations
(800) 962-7926

Give that a try but I'm sure that the ECU needs 12V to boot up first.

BTW that battery Is tiny and the fuel pump only primes for a few seconds. So you won't need that much power. And I'm sure that once you get it dialed in you won't need to mess with it that much. Its not like a carbed bike that you need to adjust for different altitudes or temperatures. The ECU will make those adjustments on the fly.

BTW that battery Is tiny and the fuel pump only primes for a few seconds. So you won't need that much power.

I've tried running the bike, connecting the scan tool and then shutting the bike off. The WR fuel pump wants to run after the bike is shut off. So its taking more than just a little bit of power, at least when the programmer is connected. I still think a diode or a switch would be better.

And I'm sure that once you get it dialed in you won't need to mess with it that much. Its not like a carbed bike that you need to adjust for different altitudes or temperatures. The ECU will make those adjustments on the fly.

Agreed and yet it would be nice to make changes for sure at the trail head and probably on the trail for different conditions.

I've tried running the bike, connecting the scan tool and then shutting the bike off. The WR fuel pump wants to run after the bike is shut off. So its taking more than just a little bit of power, at least when the programmer is connected. I still think a diode or a switch would be better.

Agreed and yet it would be nice to make changes for sure at the trail head and probably on the trail for different conditions.

Thats not what I'm talking about. If you had a small battery that you would plug in when you need to hookup and program, the fuel pump only primes for a few seconds. It then waits for the engine to startup. At least that how my WR works. Your not going to start the bike just hookup the battery then turn on the programer. If you still have the stock battery run some wire from it to the bike and try it out.