Stronger Starters on 2014 KTM XC XC-w 300 ? Help Please

Can anyone say for sure (not guess) but say for sure if the 2014 KTM XC , XC-w's come with a stronger starter than the '13 and back ???

Please just facts only and no need to ask "Why do you want a stronger starter".

I have inquired a bit and got conflicting answers . One dealer found different part numbers and said one is 350 watt and the other 400 watt .

Another dealer said no , they're the same.  I have a slightly modified SX head and the starter does start it but occasionally not on the first shot.

My battery and connections are good , cold reading is 13.7 . no need to trouble shoot , I can start another thread. Just wana know if there is

a stronger starter. Thanks much in advance for any info !

Yep, bigger starter began in 13, I'm not aware of a bigger one available aftermarket. Personally I've not been impressed with the Shorai batteries but then again the KTM 2 stroke starter isn't much better.

Do you need it for dead starts? Some of the guys I know use the e start and the kicker both.

• Like 1

There is an article about the '14 KTMs in the newest issue of Dirt Rider and they say that the bikes got stronger starters for 2014.

This is what im talking about. I call the dealers and they say the 13 and 14 have the same part number , both a 410 watt .

Conflicting info. Thanks for responding though !

The 13 starter with the big Shorai should easily start the SX MODDED bike..I just sold mine. A two stroke must start as soon as you hit the button..cranking over rapidly wont start them..it has to start instantanious. Try someone else's starter that you know works, swap batteries too. Sometmes the bendix will slip causing a slow turnover rate

• Like 1

I just turned up the regulator. I have a Trail Tech 100w stator and reg/rec .

It was charging at 13.4 and should have been 14.5 for a Shorai Li Ion .

I may have solved my prob....While I had the seat and tank off, I disconnected everything, applied NoAlox

anti corrosion grease to all connections. Put a battery tender lead in also.

We'll see how it goes.

Edited by avocasingletrack

I was reading the "other" KTM forum and saw you had the same post there. I noticed in the wet clutch mod thread that someone mentioned a mod for a 300 that replaces the battery tray with one from a 450 to allow running a larger, higher CCA battery. Don't know if it was an older model or anything, just passing the info as I know you've been fighting the issue. Might be worth some investigation.

I was reading the "other" KTM forum someone mentioned a mod for a 300 that replaces the battery tray with one from a 450 to allow running a larger, higher CCA battery.

That's good to know . Can anyone confirm this ?  I have a Shorai LFX14L2-BS12 and the battery tray wont fit the next size up shorai .

I think I solved the prob though, I turned up the little dial on the regulator and the battery is reading higher now.

ELECTRIC STARTER

The electric starter has been overhauled for the 2014 model year and made substantially more powerful (480 W instead of 370 W). Starting is now even more reliable and paves the way for swift progress.

Can you give me the part number for this 480 W starter ???  Everything i've heard says 2012 and prior have 350 W .... 2013 and up have 410 W , not 480 W