Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
capt.270

street legal YZ?

9 posts in this topic

I have a question on street legalling a YZ, I have an 03 YZ450 and I was wondering what you would need to do along the lines of exhaust to make it street legal. could I just put an end cap on that reduces the sound output? and any other tips or ways to make it street legal for cheap would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Stock (or any exhaust ) is street legal from what I understand.  Honestly if it were me, I would want the loudest f'n exhaust on there so cars know where I'm at

Take a look at the Dual-sport/Adventure sub forum.  There is a "State by State MC Equipment" list to tell you what is required in your state.

I would want the loudest f'n exhaust on there so cars know where I'm at

Derp. I would say the amount of harley riders that get killed every year would completely invalidate that idiotic argument.

1 person likes this

I had a street legal husky 610 SM with an uptite racing exhaust. ..thing was loud was hell, not really what I was going for, but I bought it that way. Harleys are still probably louder. (and more annoying)

I had a YZ400 2t that was plated but I think it was easier then to accomplish it.  I could tell it also depended on how cooperative the DMV personnel were.  I was lucky - I got a nice, cooperative old lady.  I just showed her the MSO, a bunch of receipts for headlight, tail light, etc. and I was there.

Derp. I would say the amount of harley riders that get killed every year would completely invalidate that idiotic argument.

Internet tough guy eh?  Not so sure I would go as far to say that the argument is "idiotic" but I would agree that some harley owners negate the issue.

I've owned a WR450X and put a full FMF system on it and it at least made me feel more comfortable that Grandma in her Nissan would hear me about to pass her rather than the stock baffled system.

Edited by bbohannon

i am just wondering because on the side of my muffler it says that it is for racing use only? it is the stock titanium exhaust system and it is loud, It could compete with that of most on road harley's.

and also would it be smarter to go with a supermoto tire or just a enduro road tire? I will be mounting them on a separate set of rims so i'm not worried about getting traction offroad, these will be strictly for onroad use only