My WR450 25 pound trim off...

I don't think truck scales are too accurate down low. You might be better off using a bathroom scale and a balanced loading ramp across. Then weigh the loading ramp.

It might help to weigh your collection of bikes to get an example.

Yup you need to weigh the bike. However I have seen wishful internet weighing before. :smashpc:

If I keep less than a quart of gas in the tank, reduce engine oil and coolant to the minimum safe levels, remove battery and that heavy kickstarter (bump starting/stopping works fine), remove fenders, shrouds, and number plates, and don't wear any protective gear at all (especially boots and helmet ), my bike feels like it's no more than about 235 lbs, and that's "ready to ride." Ultimate tight woods weapon!! Eat your heart out, KTM!

I've weighed every piece going on and off my bike since I started working on it.  The only thing I didn't weigh were the tires when I swapped them.  Wasn't thinking in weight mode that day.

FWIW, its ridden just about every weekend, hard, and its never given a moments trouble.  Its not like I've created a trailer queen.  Its getting closer and closer to YZ spec (and weight) and I don't think anyone thinks the 2009 YZ450F was a fragile bike. 

FWIW, there is another 2 pounds to be lost by opening up the wiring harness and eliminating all the circuits that aren't used anymore.  There is a ton of wire that goes through the backbone over the engine and up to the number plate that no longer has a function.  The part f the harness that threads through the triple clamp weighs 0.78 pounds alone, on one end, according to my scale.  If I ever find a cheap used WR450F harness on ebay, I'm going to do this.

I'll see if I can borrow a bathroom scale to satisfy the nay sayers.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy

The truck scales around here round to the nearest 10 lbs

If I keep less than a quart of gas in the tank, reduce engine oil and coolant to the minimum safe levels, remove battery and that heavy kickstarter (bump starting/stopping works fine), remove fenders, shrouds, and number plates, and don't wear any protective gear at all (especially boots and helmet ), my bike feels like it's no more than about 235 lbs, and that's "ready to ride." Ultimate tight woods weapon!! Eat your heart out, KTM!

I'm just interested in actual weight not what one "feels" they weigh. Cool if you can get it down to that weight but it all depends on if the "base" weight was confirmed not read from a manual.

I've weighed every piece going on and off my bike since I started working on it. The only thing I didn't weigh were the tires when I swapped them. Wasn't thinking in weight mode that day.

FWIW, its ridden just about every weekend, hard, and its never given a moments trouble. Its not like I've created a trailer queen. Its getting closer and closer to YZ spec (and weight) and I don't think anyone thinks the 2009 YZ450F was a fragile bike.

FWIW, there is another 2 pounds to be lost by opening up the wiring harness and eliminating all the circuits that aren't used anymore. There is a ton of wire that goes through the backbone over the engine and up to the number plate that no longer has a function. The part f the harness that threads through the triple clamp weighs 0.78 pounds alone, on one end, according to my scale. If I ever find a cheap used WR450F harness on ebay, I'm going to do this.

I'll see if I can borrow a bathroom scale to satisfy the nay sayers.

Not a "nay sayer" it's just accurate information. :excuseme:

I'm just interested in actual weight not what one "feels" they weigh. Cool if you can get it down to that weight but it all depends on if the "base" weight was confirmed not read from a manual.

I know, and I plan to weigh my bikes as soon as my wrist is healed enough to get them on and off their stands. I'd just had a little extra coffee this morning when I wrote that. Totally agree.

You want to sell your headlight assembly?

I moved my ignition coil to the same place openbook215 did, except that I removed one of the embedded nuts on the engine mount and placed the coil inside the engine mount.  There is about 1/4" of clearance between the coil and the engine.  Its about 1/2" inside the frame now, pretty protected.

I removed the rubber boot from mine as well.

Total weight lost was 0.44 pounds.  I kid you not, though I should have maybe left a bit more steel for the magnetic circuit.

My bike now weighs 239.06 pounds without fuel.

The advertised weight of a 2014 KTM 350 XCF is 237.4 pounds without fuel and it doesn't come with a skid plate.

I installed 20mm offset triple clamps as well.

I have (poor) pictures of the coil setup if anyone wants to see them.

Yea something wrong with my internet connection :smashpc:  Dude your bike is lighter than a 09' YZ450 road race bike with 17" carbon fiber wheels slicks and no tubes. :jawdrop:  :smashpc:  :smashpc:  :smashpc:

Yea something wrong with my internet connection :smashpc: Dude your bike is lighter than a 09' YZ450 road race bike with 17" carbon fiber wheels slicks and no tubes. :jawdrop::smashpc::smashpc::smashpc:

No it's not :-)

You want to sell your headlight assembly?

Nope.   Keeping all the parts in case I ever sell it and need to put it back to stock.

I don't think his numbers are unrealistic at all. A stock WR is 273 full of gas. Lose the gas and you're about 260 lbs with all other fluids. He's ditched the starter, battery and everything that goes with it, headlight, trip computer, kickstand, etc. It's not too hard to imagine all that adding up to 20 lbs is it? That has it right about 240 lbs. Seems legit to me. I think he's off his rocker on the cams thing, but hard to fault the bike diet, the extra weight is definitely the WRs Achilles heel, IMO.

To me it's just about espousing the actual weight of a bike when one does it. It's not that hard to do the front tire back tire method and any variance should be immaterial. +/- a pound or two.

poor bike... it just wants to be ridden and all it gets is poked and prodded in the garage like a science experiment. 

poor bike... it just wants to be ridden and all it gets is poked and prodded in the garage like a science experiment. 

I've had it a year and its got 70 hours on it, all trail time.

I've had it a year and its got 70 hours on it, all trail time.

But how many hours of poking and proding.....J/K :thumbsup:   You are becoming one with your bike :ride:

But how many hours of poking and proding.....J/K :thumbsup:   You are becoming one with your bike :ride:

Actually, not much.  Almost all the mods I did prior to this were "the night before the ride" sort of stuff. 

The recent triple clamp and cam swaps were more involved, especially when the intake cam went haywire.  I missed a day of riding due to that.  &*(&^%!!

FYI, I had to do my valves anyway, they were out of spec.  So the cams were not extra work and only $150.  Seemed worth it to try while I was going in there. 

FYI, I had to do my valves anyway, they were out of spec.  So the cams were not extra work and only $150.  Seemed worth it to try while I was going in there. 

This was on a '12WR?  Man, I didn't do my valves until 6 years of riding and hundreds of hours (guestimate of ~500 as I didn't have an hour meter as I do now)  I never even checked them and they were in good shape when I did it.  So was the piston.   The Yammi motors are as they say "bullet proof". :thumbsup:   I have over 100 hours in the first year of tracking them now.

This was on a '12WR?  Man, I didn't do my valves until 6 years of riding and hundreds of hours (guestimate of ~500 as I didn't have an hour meter as I do now)  I never even checked them and they were in good shape when I did it.  So was the piston.   The Yammi motors are as they say "bullet proof". :thumbsup:   I have over 100 hours in the first year of tracking them now.

It wasn't starting well when hot.   The first thing to check is the valves and when I did they were all uniformly at their lash limits. 

It wasn't starting well when hot.   The first thing to check is the valves and when I did they were all uniformly at their lash limits. 

Yeah, my bike was still running like the day I bought it.  I decided to put in the YZ timed cams and figured it was time to do the valves.  But, my bike had yet to give me any kind of signal.  But after 6 years I figured it was time :thumbsup: