2014 YZ450F suspension springs

Man 112 is a lot of sag. I would think it would kill the turning ability and not allow the rear suspension to work properly

Not really.  That's about right for the 12.4 inches of travel the rear has.  As far as the effect that has on steering, you have to bear in mind that it doesn't steer the same as any previous YZ in the first place.  Given the extra travel at both ends and the differences in the chassis, I'm not at all surprised to see 112 work.  Probably designed to work that way.

Man 112 is a lot of sag. I would think it would kill the turning ability and not allow the rear suspension to work properly

I would have bet my bottom dollar that 110 or greater was a horrible idea until I tried it!

That bike I think is designed to run lotsa sag!

My susp guru Dave thought I was crazy til he rode it!

Dave and I have been doing some testing on my shock at some of the local tracks and I found that going up a spring rate and running 110-112 sag really smoothed out the bike and it corners better. We started at 104 and were having problems getting the bike to settle entering turns and just generally out of balance.

I never would have guessed that in a million years, I have tested this on an outdoor style track that was miserably rough everywhere and the bike was far easier to ride.

Dave himself thought it work considerably better also.

Yesterday I rode at a fairgrounds style track and again started out at 104 again and it again was just not happening.

Adding a bit more we were again at 112 and even with the tight rutted 180 degree turns it turns soon much easier.

Never once did I feel like it compromised the front end traction.

This is the most comfortable I have felt on this bike yet!

I'm 200 lb vet int rider and running a 6.3 in the rear at 112 mm sag, fork tubes are 4mm above the clamp.

Are you still running stock spring in front?  If not what rate did you go with.

Fork springs are stock,

Forks are 5 mm above clamps to balance (level ) out the bike

Shock spring I felt the best with is a 6.3 by Eilbach

I tried a 6.1 from FC and it felt the same as the stock spring. We are testing the rate on the 6.1 and the 5.9

thank you, motoscotty, I appreciate it.

Fork springs are stock,

Forks are 5 mm above clamps to balance (level ) out the bike

Shock spring I felt the best with is a 6.3 by Eilbach

I tried a 6.1 from FC and it felt the same as the stock spring. We are testing the rate on the 6.1 and the 5.9

What was you riding before this? I have a 13 crf450 been seriously thinking about getting one of these. Keep us updated on your progress

What was you riding before this? I have a 13 crf450 been seriously thinking about getting one of these. Keep us updated on your progress

2012 Honda 450,

Do you like the yamaha better? Does it feel alot heavier at all?

Do you like the yamaha better? Does it feel alot heavier at all?

At first I was thinking this was a bad decision and not sure what bike was getting the for sale sign.

Last Sat I rode the Yam 4 laps, Hond 4 laps and back to the Yam for 4 more.

I now think the YZ is a great bike for me.

The Yamaha is bigger and heavier but I only notice the weight pushing it around or putting it on the stand.

I bet the diff is at least 10 lbs?? On the track the weight of the Yam is lower to the ground, even more so now so I don't feel the weight on the track.

The Honda is lighter and a bit more agile but was lotsa maintenance to keep Rollin.

Checked the manual RE sag and it says set 90-100. 112 is definitely out of that range. I know MXA said they liked 105 best without the link, but could have lowered it more and didnt as they didnt want to compromise suspension action. Im going to brake in at 105 on a jumpy track and see how it feels. I ran 100 on my 11 with no link and it was good. I had a link on my 09 CRF and it sucked, but that bike sucked anyway.

The 14 YZ should weigh about the same as the CRF now with the weight reduction unless you have a full tank of fuel in both. The YZ holds 3lbs more fuel. I havent ridden mine yet, but a buddy of mine said he is running less fuel in the tank and it is easier to load less fuel in the new bike as you can see the level now in the new tank. The 11 with a full tank would easily take me through 2 practices and 2 15" races on raced day so I definitely dont need to lug that extra .5 gallon around all day!

Scottie,

I tried your setup last night. I have to say I think your on to something here.  I was pretty dang happy with the bike anyway but I like to tinker so.....

Traction is much improved in all areas, turning is almost intuitive now.  The bike just knows what I want. Suspension feels very smooth and balanced.  I cant wait to get it out and start making some small adjustments.

Funny thing, I didn't realize how MX people in general are part of the "herd". I let a guy ride my '14 a couple weeks ago and right away he was turning laps 10-13 seconds faster than on his own Suzuki. We were talking about it and he loved the power, loved how it handled but was quick to point out he is probably going to buy a KTM cause nobody rides a Yamaha....  funny world. 

We did a bit more shock testing yesterday, mainly with sag settings.

It is amazing that we were able to get all the way to 120mm before I was starting to lose the front end.

My new "sweet spot" is 116, traction got that much better and cornering improved a bit also. I find that it stays in the ruts better being a bit lower.

The fork tubes were raised another 5mm to balance out.

This bike just got that much better!

I rode a friends with all the stock settings and almost couldn't ride it, he is all dialed in now to and very happy with the new yam.

Would you recommend any redound valving changes ?

Would you recommend any redound valving changes ?

Well only from a if something bad happens and you fall from the sky standpoint, the stock stuff won't control the release of energy like a shock that has a modified rebound circuit.

I have done some stuff testing I wouldn't ever do on purpose and the stock susp is far better than any stock stuff I've seen.

Dave can explain with much better detail

Hey all,

I've been following this thread since I bought the 2014.  I'm coming off the 2010 which I thought was a good bike.  Some flaws, but overall you could make it work with a decent setup.

I'm a 220 lb Vet Expert. Here is all the data I acquired so far:

1. For my weight, the stock springs are too soft.  In my searches I've only been able to find a new rear spring for the 10-13.  No one has the new springs yet. I tried Factory Connection, Enzo, etc

2. Using the 4.9 Front and 6.3 Rear I've found sag settings that work in a various conditions. 105mm to 110mm 

Intermediate/Hardpack (Northeast)

Front C=14, R=11

Rear C=14, R=12

HighSpeed = 2 turns out

Sag 105mm

Fork Height = 5mm

Sand (Southwick)

Front C=10, R=6

Rear C=11, R=5

Highspeed = 2 turns out

Sag 110mm

Fork Height = Flush with clamps

3. I'm definitely looking into the lowering link, I had it on my 2010 and it helped tremendously.  I'd like to get the ass to squat down a little more and not lose the front end feeling.  We'll see!  As I ride it more I'll keep people updated.

Thanks,

Tom Baker

Hey all,

I've been following this thread since I bought the 2014.  I'm coming off the 2010 which I thought was a good bike.  Some flaws, but overall you could make it work with a decent setup.

I'm a 220 lb Vet Expert. Here is all the data I acquired so far:

1. For my weight, the stock springs are too soft.  In my searches I've only been able to find a new rear spring for the 10-13.  No one has the new springs yet. I tried Factory Connection, Enzo, etc

2. Using the 4.9 Front and 6.3 Rear I've found sag settings that work in a various conditions. 105mm to 110mm 

Intermediate/Hardpack (Northeast)

Front C=14, R=11

Rear C=14, R=12

HighSpeed = 2 turns out

Sag 105mm

Fork Height = 5mm

Sand (Southwick)

Front C=10, R=6

Rear C=11, R=5

Highspeed = 2 turns out

Sag 110mm

Fork Height = Flush with clamps

3. I'm definitely looking into the lowering link, I had it on my 2010 and it helped tremendously.  I'd like to get the ass to squat down a little more and not lose the front end feeling.  We'll see!  As I ride it more I'll keep people updated.

Thanks,

Tom Baker

I am 220# vet intermediate/expert too.

Thanks for posting the settings.

For clarification, and my manual is out in the gargage :-), is the stock shock spring 6.3?

I put an hour or so on my bike. I did raise the fork a bit, but did not set sag, touch the clickers or anything else. I was just happy to take it out for a bit after being bikeless for four months. I am going to set sag this week and hopefully get out an play on the weekend to dial it in.

Stock shock spring is 5.999 kg/ mm

Anyone know what the front fork springs are?

.50kg/mm I believe.. 340 cc oil.. Also tested lower rear sag (110mm) with forks raised 5mm. I must admit the bike did feel better in turns and as described above. I'm 185 lbs. no gear so I'm still using the stock rear spring but I did add some hi speed compression (1/4 turn, so far) to compensate for the lake of initial spring force.

So far I'm very impressed with this bike, although I am coming off the 2010 version of this...

Edited by Biscuits