Looking for suggestion for upgrades to 2002 WR426

I'am a newbie to TT and am looking for suggestions for upgrades to 02 WR426. I just bought it and it's stock. I'am what you might call a senior citizen type and will be doing mostly trail riding in southeast. Grey wire?, throttle stop?,exhaust? I'am looking for good low end performance, not so much hair on fire top end.

Remove the Air box lid, Purchase YZ Needle (OBELN, OBEKN) and stick it on the 3rd clip. No need to re-jet the main or pilot. Do the BK mod and knock the squirt down to 1 second. Replace the stock bars. "REMOVE" the butt plug in the muffler or if you have sound restrictions in your area, get the FMF Q.

First cut or grind the throttle screw so you will be able to find all the rev's that arn't there I think that you take

19mm off it witch is almost 3/4 of an inch.

Then get a after market pipe, I went with a FMF power core 4

and have been real happy with it however you will have to

rejet no big deal there's plenty of help here for that.

I also removed the air box lid before I rejeted,but most of my riding is farly dry.

The rear shock spring was a little lite for my 47yr old 215 pound ass so I replaced it with a Race Tech spring that is in my weight range, the stock one is set for a 170 pounder

(I wish, I think high school is the last time I was there ?)the stock forks and shock work well once dialed in so I found no need to do more then the rear spring.

Other than that ride the hell out of it so you can get the

starting drill down.

Enjoy,Merry X-MAS Jerry :D

Hello, Ho! Ho! Ho!

You have about the same vital signs that I do

for my 47yr old 215 pound ass

. What rate of spring did you get for the rear. I also feel that the rear shock spring is overstressed. Must be because of my age ?

Merry Christmas

The YZ Seat/Tank upgrade improves the handling dramatically. I estimate that I'm probably 4" farther forward after the change. The front end sticks way better. I have the Clarke 3.3 gallon YZ tank and I'm very happy wiht it.

The YZ450 cam gives you the auto decomp with YZ timing. You can advance the cam in the 02 and older bikes but you have to buy the specific cam for the auto decomp. In other words, if you want YZ timing buy the 03 YZ450 cam, if you want WR timing, buy the 03 WR cam. I wasn't sure if I wanted YZ timing or not so I advanced mine and I'd never change back. Now I just need to decide if I want the auto decomp or if I can spend the $150 on other mods.

I just put an FMF Q on this weekend and I'm pretty happy with the performance. It is louder than I expected however.

What does the clark YZ seat /tank do for the WR426? Also I noticed a 03 yz450 cam switch? What benefit does that do? I am looking for more mods to my bike as well.

Thank You ?

I wanted to try keeping the stock tank and went with a Gut Racing tall height Medium foam seat. I am happy with this. If you send your seat to Guts they install foam and cover for free.

The cam mod is a must do, but be ready for a lot more power. I got mine from TT member CW as it had the correct gear for the 426 chain. Go to the YZ450 forum and at the top is "YZ 450 cam mod-please read ". This will keep your busy for a while.

Hello, Ho! Ho! Ho!

You have about the same vital signs that I do

for my 47yr old 215 pound ass

. What rate of spring did you get for the rear. I also feel that the rear shock spring is overstressed. Must be because of my age ?

Merry Christmas

215 with or without gear? I'm 205 in street clothes and run a 5.4 eibach rear spring and stock fronts. If you are 10lbs. heavier, I would recommend a 5.6 rear to get proper rider sag and free sag. :D

The YZ Seat/Tank upgrade improves the handling dramatically. I estimate that I'm probably 4" farther forward after the change. The front end sticks way better. I have the Clarke 3.3 gallon YZ tank and I'm very happy wiht it.

Do you have to get the tank or can you send your old seat to have it set up so you can be farther up on the tank. I have stock seat and that has been a complaint of mine

Do you have to get the tank or can you send your old seat to have it set up so you can be farther up on the tank. I have stock seat and that has been a complaint of mine

When going to YZF tank you have to use the seat too. The WRF seat base is to short and the wrong shape at the tank juncture.