Softer seat for a 2012 WR450 ?

I find the seat on my 2012 WR450F to be very hard.   Rock hard.

Has anyone softened the seat on their bike ?     Drilled holes in the foam ?    Made cuts in it ?

My friend replaces his seat foam and cover with Guts Racing foam and cover.   It raises the seat height about 1 inch.    $125+ for both.    Not sure I like this option.

Ideas ?   Opinions ?

Seatconcepts.com is where I'm going. I put one on my husky and for the long ride it works very well.

Do you know if they all wider or if they will make one that is about the same width?  For me, I was looking for something that would get me a little closer to the ground and being wider would be an issue.

If you use a stock height Guts seat foam, can you reuse the stock seat cover ?  Is that feasible or should one change the seat cover ?   

I'm trying to decide between stock height and tall height.   My trail riding friends say tall is better because you are closer to standing up, making the transition easier.   I'm 6' 1", so reaching the ground isn't much of an issue.

Seat concepts seems to be more about touring seats than trail riding seats.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy

I went the seat concepts route.

I couldn't be happier.  It's basically stock in nearly every regard except the foam.  I ran the Shenandoah 500 last year and the seat was perfect.  Prior to that I had the stock seat while riding for 3 1/2 days at the HM trails.  Soooo happy I got rid of the stock setup.

I've never owned a gutz seat, so I don't know how they compare.  It'd be hard for me to imagine you'd be disappointed with the seat concepts product.

Jon

Edited by jworth94

I picked up a Seat Concepts seat when I was in SoCal for work. It is the best seat out there. No question. It is wider and gives you a place to sit, rather than a 2x4 to straddle. I promise that you will not be disappointed if you get one. I have not tried any other seat and don't have to. I will get a Seat Concepts seat for whatever bike I get next.

This is the picture that sold me.

DSCN0594.jpg

• Like 1

I picked up a Seat Concepts seat when I was in SoCal for work. It is the best seat out there. No question. It is wider and gives you a place to sit, rather than a 2x4 to straddle. I promise that you will not be disappointed if you get one. I have not tried any other seat and don't have to. I will get a Seat Concepts seat for whatever bike I get next.

This is the picture that sold me.

DSCN0594.jpg

Are you using the bike for trailing riding, racing or dual purpose ?  I wonder how that seat would work for riding/racing.

• Like 1

Yes as you can see, the seats are a bit "fatter" and "flatter" then stock but only where your butt sits and not where your legs are. My husky seat is the same. So standing you won't notice. Sitting, you would notice. If your standing all the time then what ever seat you use won't matter. If you "cruise" more and like to sit then a seat like this is much better since its not up your butt crack. However if you like to bounce back from standing and sitting, then I could see an advantage to a taller seat. In the end we all like the "stock" look but want anything that is softer then the brick the stock seats are made out of.

As I see it, drilling holes in your foam is one way of trying it. If it works, great, if not you live with it till you find something else. I don't see you have anything to loose. it's not that hard to remove staples and re install, so long as you have a good staple gun.

I had the guts foam at first for my husky and I made the mistake of getting the soft foam and ended up sitting on the seat pan so it felt anyways. Most of the medium after market foams are typically softer then the stock foam that yamaha / honda and other use. Just make sure what ever brand you buy, that you get enough info before hand as to the hardness of the foam that you make a wise choice or that the company offers something like an exchange.

Are you using the bike for trailing riding, racing or dual purpose ?  I wonder how that seat would work for riding/racing.

Now I use it for trail riding only. I just got it plated so I will be putting some street time in as well. But that will be all sitting so no issue. As Ride-n-Hard said, the wideness is not noticeable when you are standing up as normal. I am 6'4" and at times I will bend the knees and ankles a little and hold the bike with the wider part of the seat to control the bike. Works out well for me. I bruised my tailbone last year and the stock seat was just not happening. I was near tears a few minutes into my ride. With the Seat Concepts seat, and my tailbone still giving me issues, I didn't notice my tailbone enough to affect my riding at all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...