Anybody else feel like the 2014 yz 450f is gonna kick ass?

While it may have been a new idea and good on paper I don't think the rearward slanted engine is working. And I think they are too stubborn to let itgo. I rreally don't like what they did with the header pipe and imo it is gonna run hot. But I do like the looks and I love the fact yamaha is trying to be innovative with new ideas.

Edited by Ramblinwreck223

While it may have been a new idea and good on paper I don't think the rearward slanted engine is working. And I think they are too stubborn to let itgo. I rreally don't like what they did with the header pipe and imo it is gonna run hot. But I do like the looks and I love the fact yamaha is trying to be innovative with new ideas.

. Not trying to start an argument or anything here totally respect your opinion. You said you don't think the reward slanted engine is working? Why do you say that? I'm not calling you a lier just wondering what brings you to that conclusion. Just because its different than other bikes doesn't necessarily mean its wrong. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the major grip about the previous bikes the handling not the engine? I could be totally wrong. Obviously the reward engine is going to affect handling compared to the other way and maybe that's what you're referring to as the engine makes the handling feel weird.

Yeah sorry I should have specified what I meant a little more lol. Yeah I'm talking about the handling due to the motor making it feel weird. I call it the James Stewart problem lol but yeah that's what I meant by that. If this bike does as good as the hype is saying it will maybe James Stewart will come back to yamaha when suzuki goes under lol.

I road one this past weekend, I liked it a lot but I ll keep my 13 ktm450. the suspsion on the yam was incredible, I liked the motor but it definitely need to be mapped n a pipe, it felt bigger than my ktm , and turned no where near as well. I know durability of yams is top notch! ive owned plenty of them, I definitely would buy won, but really like the set up on my ktm, tough to beat and the electric start is a game changer!

Just kicked my last KTM 4 stroke out the door. We got tired of fussing with batteries and suspension, and the battery and electrical obstructing filter access. I really liked my 350 after i got the suspension worked out, but it was a long process, and i was getting killed on loamy uphill starts. I was all ready to buy a new 2012 450SX FE as it was to be released soon back then. In the interim, I had my 350 for sale and some guy wanted to trade me his practically new 11 YZ450 SE. It was the bike I originally wanted so did the deal. YZ was raceable out of the box and with just the addition of taller bars, a pipe, and remap was super bitchin. Maintenance wise all ive had to do is change the oil and filter. It always starts easy, 3rd kick after sitting and first or second after. I still have my KTM 2 stroke though and it seems I can put it anywhere I want; its a light 2 stroke. But, when I get on the YZ after I can do the same. Its going to be hard to let go of my 11 YZ, but really stoked on the 14.

And, what Gray said about Bubba's between the ears problem couldnt be more true. Look at his results, or lack thereof, on the Zook. Too bad Grant's kid got bit by the family dog or we would have seen another good result in Utah. Hopefully is son is OK and he gets out to Elsinore.

So, back on topic, go out and race your 14s and come back and tell us if it, or YOU, kick ass. Everyone always says the bikes are pretty comparable performance wise. Which may be true. But, i know the YZs fit me well and, most importantly, I want to ride and race not spend countless hours setting up and working on broken bikes.

Edited by Joe_Jet

I feel like the '14s will be an improvement but it doesn't seem like it's a night/day difference. Some of the same characteristics (good and 'bad') seem to have carried over (overly-light front-end and wiggle on turn-in). All in all, I feel the 10-13 is still a very competitive bike that most people can race very easily. No bike is perfect. I am interested in hearing what people think of them, as more and more riders are on them. I may look into a new 250f next year, so I will be reading up as much as I can and hopefully riding each of the '14 YZfs.

Edited by ah665
  • Like 1

I feel like the '14s will be an improvement but it doesn't seem like it's a night/day difference. Some of the same characteristics seem to have carried over (overly-light front-end and wiggle on turn-in). All in all, I feel the 10-13 is still a very competitive bike that most people can race very easily. No bike is perfect. I am interested in hearing what people think of them, as more and more riders are on the,. I may look into a new 250f next year, so I will be reading up as much as I can and hopefully riding each of the '14 YZfs.

X2 , my '11 stays right where it is

I would say it is a night/day difference... the 2014 feels much much lighter, skinnier, more nimble... the 2014 also lands much smoother off jumps ( i case out alot, so this is important to me!!!)

i have steve roman's 2010 yz450 11/10 mods race bike, and i  bought a 2014 yz450 about 3 weeks ago... honestly, the completely built 2010 is not nearly as powerful, and does not handle nearly as well...

the 2010 feels more stable on straight lines.  Around bends, the 2014 causes me to turn a bit early due to being used to the slow turning of the 10... overall, i love both bikes, the 2014 IMO is much cleaner performance, more refined (obviously they improved on their mistakes), and suited much better for the mx stuff... the 2010 is nice to trail ride and hill climb.

I added a rekluse core exp to both bikes, an love em.. no mod in my opinion is as nice. i love the fact that i still feel engine breaking, but never stall!!!

Edited by hostile silence

Well I'm goin back to the local bike shop hopefully Friday or saturday with my 13 crf450r into trade it for the 14 yz450! My crf has alot if mods for MX and my crf was strictly ran MX only. The yz looks way better for racing and I did get to give her a 5. Min test ride at the shop Tuesday night. It feels insanely light. Gets slot of traction on wet, dry, dirt, sand, gravel etc. etc. it's very flickable and nimble. Has a great balance to it. It's clutch is very smooth and the motor just gives you all and any power you could want. I was just testing it to see how it felt but in. 4th gear when I cracked the throttle I felt the front wheel wanna come up so easily I tapped the rear brakes tho. Has a great design and seems pretty bulletproof. I'm trading in my fully paid off 13 crf450 with over 10K in after markets. The salesman told me if I add $300 well trade straight across. So that's what's gonna happen. If I can manage to leave work early today or tomorrow I may go today or tomorrow!

• Like 1

i have steve roman's 2010 yz450 11/10 mods race bike, and i  bought a 2014 yz450 about 3 weeks ago... honestly, the completely built 2010 is not nearly as powerful

Not calling you out, but I find that hard to believe. I almost bought his 2010 250f race bike and that bike was pretty wicked. If the 450 had Eleven10 motor work, I just can't see how a stock 14 has way more power.

Either way, glad you enjoy the '14. It is nice hearing some reviews. Glad it seems like people are happy with the bikes so far.

1) wait for a dyno chart on both bikes done on the same machine on the same day.  That or a stack of them that can be averaged.  That's the only accurate way to know.  I don't think Yamaha publishes that info, and I wouldn't trust it if they did.

2) On a bike as big as a 450, absolute peak horsepower numbers are meaningless.  Especially off-road, or even in MX. It's simply useless information.  How the power is delivered is the real key.  There hasn't been 3 hp difference from one model to the next in a YZ450 ever, and really, not more than that even between '06 and the current bikes.

I thought I read 58hp on the 14

No worries, I would 100% say the 14 is much smoother, has more power, and way better top end...

I love steves 2010 yz450, but imo it doesn't seem to put it down to the earth like the 14... grant it, stock tune in my 14, woods map 2010...

The three most notable differences

1. Top end - 14 holds top end much better

2. "Weight" - supposedly close, if not same dry weight, the 14 feels muc much lighter , probably because of front shroud width and engine/radiator/lower link

3. Turning - much easier on 14

Again, this is my opinion, if you disagree, buy one/ride one, then speak your mind...

• Like 1