HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MidlifeCrisisGuy

Gearing down a 2012 WR450 ?

8 posts in this topic

We ride in very tight terrain and do a bunch of hill climbing.

My riding buddies are telling me that I should gear down my 2012 WR450.

My manual says it comes stock with 13/50 gearing.

How would a 12 tooth countershaft sprocket work ?  Going to a 52 tooth rear sprocket doesn't seem like it would make much difference.

Thoughts ?

I personally am not a fan of going below a 13 on the front due to the added stress it puts on the chain to make the tighter turn.  I would look into a 52-54 rear depending on what you are looking for.  If you stay with steel you are looking at about $20.

Definitely avoid a 12 tooth CS sprocket...it'll tear up your chain buffer on the swingarm.

A 52 on the rear will make a huge difference.

Edited by JDLowrance

A fifty two just barely fits with the stock chain after initial stretching.  Seemed to help.  I do not like going down on the counter-shaft sprocket.

Jon

Edited by Jon at Camano

I'm running a 12 tooth up front on my '12 WR450 right now. It feels good in 2nd and 3rd, 1st is basically just an emergency gear when crawling up a hill now. I haven't noticed any unnatural wear on my chain, buffers, or guides yet.

1 person likes this

12:52 here on an 08.  No wear yet, but it's close.  I love how it's geared now on tight stuff.

1 person likes this

I ran the 12 tooth for 25 miles on the weekend.   No unusual wear that I can tell.   I feel as though it should have been geared this way from the factory.  Its excellent in tight stuff and on tight climbs.

At idle a WR250F with stock gearing runs 5 MPH in 1st gear.    The WR450F runs about 7MPH and the engine gets chuggish if you lug it down low with the stock tuning/ gearing. 

I might try 12:52 for the fun of it.  It would hurt top end, but 2nd and 3rd would be nicer.

The WRs should come with 6 speed gearboxes !   Yamaha , are you listening ????

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy

Searching old posts... as during my winter downtime, I am considering gearing down my 2012 WR as well.  Any others happy with a 13/52 set up?  Did you replace the chain or use the factory.  I have about 50 hours on mine, and it would appear I have enough slack for it, but I wouldn't want to chance it if its just easier to buy a longer chain.  Thoughts?