New bike 2013 WR450F

Can't wait for a break in the weather so I can ride!

Taking a trip to the Hatfield and McCoy trails in West Virginia this May. Never been that far away from home riding so I'm definitely getting pumped.

I have a few things to get before the trip. I need the GYTR radiator braces, I'm gonna get the Boyeson super cooler water pump cover and impeller, fasst flexx handlebars and the cyrca pro bend hand gaurds. Money and time permitting, I'd like to get exhaust as well. Also before I go, I noticed that I have a fork seal leaking that needs to be fixed. My shop said $150 for that.

May is coming quickly!

I noticed that I have a fork seal leaking that needs to be fixed. My shop said $150 for that.

Swezy, you can fix the forks yourself in an evening for less than $100 including the tools you don't currently have. Or, since your bike is so new, I bet you may be able to just clean the spec of sand or other dirt from under your seals with a piece of film.

Regardless, you may want to consider a set of Seal Savers. They'll keep your fork seals in good shape until they dry rot.

Swezy, you can fix the forks yourself in an evening for less than $100 including the tools you don't currently have. Or, since your bike is so new, I bet you may be able to just clean the spec of sand or other dirt from under your seals with a piece of film.

Regardless, you may want to consider a set of Seal Savers. They'll keep your fork seals in good shape until they dry rot.

Thanks for the info Kat, I'm not familiar with using film to clean the seal. Good idea on the seal saver, gotta find out what size I need.

I thought about getting the tools and replacing the seal myself, I'm just not comfortable tearing down my brand new bike having never done it before.

Thanks for the info Kat, I'm not familiar with using film to clean the seal. Good idea on the seal saver, gotta find out what size I need.

I thought about getting the tools and replacing the seal myself, I'm just not comfortable tearing down my brand new bike having never done it before.

I haven't actually tried to clean my oil seals, but it does make sense. And because your bike is so new, I have to believe your seals are still smooth and supple.

Here's a video of a tool that someone sells for cleaning fork seals on the bike:

I have to believe that you could do the same by cutting an old goggle lens or something similar to slide under the seal lips to pull out the dirt.

Just ordered two of those Seal Mates. If it works, it will save me some coin for sure!

Seal savers ordered. Along with some bar savers.

I use this:

http://youtu.be/W3Re9wpdNFg

I tried seal savers once.  They trap dirt and cause excess friction that you don't want (restricts fork action).

Edited by Navaho6

Unless you have a factory mechanic or money is of no concern, you probably have to do it sometime (taking off a fork is hardly tearing down a bike). :)

Check this thread: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1054789-blew-a-fork-seal-on-my-2012argggg-good-brand/

I forgot to mention, you probably need to lock the fork in a vise to hold it while you do the initial loosening and torquing of the bottom nut.  Just make sure the jaws have the "smooth" side or make some kind of covers so it doesn't chew up anything.  On the side with the brake caliper, I just hold it using the caliper mounts.  On the other side I just lock it down (not very tight) at the clamp where the axle goes through.  You could also insert the axel into the fork, tighten it down so it doesn't move, then just stick that in the vice.  Once you have the nut turning, you can put the fork into the bucket and just spin the nut off with a ratchet (holding the fork with your hand will be enough at that point).  The manual describes the rest of the process pretty good.  There won't be a lot of parts to confuse you.

I tried seal savers once.  They trap dirt and cause excess friction that you don't want (restricts fork action).

I've heard that regarding the dirt. Mine run all the way down to the axle clamp. Even on the dirtiest ride, no dirt makes it up to the working part of the fork. I roll up the bottom of the seal saver and clean the bottom out to prevent the dirt from migrating up the fork. The neoprene is pretty soft, so if there is no dirt, there is very little friction. I've even considered cable tying the bottom to the axle clamp to prevent any dirt from entering either end.

Mine act more like the old fork boots on the non-inverted forks. If there is any restriction from bundling up the seal saver, I'm not a supple enough guy to notice it.

It seams to me, without the Seal Savers, I have a pretty high chance of developing a fork leak every time I ride in sandy mud. Eventually, even if you are cleaning the seals with one of the tools listed above, you will either cut the seal or it will wear from the dirt.

While replacing the seals isn't that big of a deal, I don't want to do it more than once a year -- at the most!

I used the risk racing seal doctor and installed the seal savers. I'm ready to ride!

I'm ordering fasst flexx handlebars Friday. I know I need 1 1/8 bars but which ones do I need? They have different "degrees" 12 or 14?

Fasst Flexx bars are ordered! The guys at Fasst Flexx are great.... Very helpful. I went with the 12 degree Enduro cut bars. Also ordered Cyrca Pro Bend hand gaurds, Works Connection fork bleeders, and Alpinestars Air Flo pants.

Flexx bars and hand gaurds installed!

Just ordered a 12 tooth front sprocket and GYTR radiator braces. Debating on ordering FMF Q4.

New sprocket and GYTR radiator braces are installed! Also got a stand for working on my bike.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398267176.324203.jpg

It seams to me, without the Seal Savers, I have a pretty high chance of developing a fork leak every time I ride in sandy mud. Eventually, even if you are cleaning the seals with one of the tools listed above, you will either cut the seal or it will wear from the dirt.

While replacing the seals isn't that big of a deal, I don't want to do it more than once a year -- at the most!

I rode a 2006 WR for 5 years without Seal Savers and most of the time in muddy conditions.  Had several leaks that i fixed by cleaning the dirt out of the seals.  I sold the bike recently with the original fork seals still in. 

I rode a 2006 WR for 5 years without Seal Savers and most of the time in muddy conditions.  Had several leaks that i fixed by cleaning the dirt out of the seals.  I sold the bike recently with the original fork seals still in. 

So, how did you do this without damaging the seals?  "Several leaks" is more that two, so whatever you're doing seems to work...

Funny, but shortly after I wrote that, my son's YZ85 developed a seal leak on one of his forks. That bike had the short Seal Savers on it (the ones that don't go all the way down to the axle). I tried to clean them out with a homemade film cleaner made from a goggle lens, but I couldn't get them to stop leaking.

The problem may have been a defective oil seal installation a year ago when I rebuilt the forks (likely). Or possibly, I don't know how to clean out a seal or make a Seal Doctor out of a piece of goggle lens. When we replaced the seal, I couldn't see a defect in the seal lips.

Anybody know if an IMS fuel tank will fit this bike with the GYTR radiator braces installed? I called IMS and the guy said he has no idea.

So, how did you do this without damaging the seals?  "Several leaks" is more that two, so whatever you're doing seems to work...

I cleaned my forks well after each ride, getting the dirt out of the dust seals.  I used 35 mm film negatives, then the flimsy plastic seal cleaner.  I spray a little silicone in the dust seal after cleaning.  yamaha makes good fork seals.