WR450 Stator Questions

I am looking to upgrade my stator to something that provides more sufficient power. Both of my WRs are street ridden, so a brighter headlight and better battery charging would be ideal.

That being said, I have researched stator options and threads on here, but it seems like things have changed since the other threads were written. From what I have been able to figure out the two best options are:

1. Take the stock stator, float the ground, and get a Baja Designs regulator rectifier.

2. Order a trail tech stator and rectifier kit.

My concerns are the quality of the trail tech components and stator output.

What kind of experiences have you guys had with stator upgrades?

I sent my stator to Baja Designs for the ground float (about $30) and bought their regulator/rectifier. I've been running this setup for over 2yrs and it has been great.  I run the Airtime HID http://jatproducts.com/ and the increased lighting is awesome.  I would highly recommend this setup to anyone looking to do some serious night riding.

Edited by dustdogg

I sent my stator to Baja Designs for the ground float (about $30) and bought their regulator/rectifier. I've been running this setup for over 2yrs and it has been great. I run the Airtime HID http://jatproducts.com/ and the increases lighting is awesome. I would highly recommend this setup to anyone looking to to some srious night riding.

That's the second time I've heard of that set up. Looking like baja designs is the way to go.

I have also been running the BD setup. I have there dual sport kit on my '07 WR450 and haven't had any problems. Had them do the stator for $30. I am running the '13 WR 450 headlight as I like the looks of that better than the BD headlight.

I have also been running the BD setup. I have there dual sport kit on my '07 WR450 and haven't had any problems. Had them do the stator for $30. I am running the '13 WR 450 headlight as I like the looks of that better than the BD headlight.

I agree on the looks of the headlight. So is it the rectifier that handles the swap from ac to dc charging?

All magento generators such as the WR stator (with or without the ground floated) produce AC electricity.  The only way for them to produce DC for battery charging, etc., is to install a rectifier, which is why they come with one stock.  Not sure precisely why BD feels that you need theirs as opposed to the OEM rectifier, but it may simply be a matter of current capacity.  In the stock system, the headlight is AC.  Most HID setups use a ballast that requires DC (the lamp could care less) so that needs to change to run lights of that type.  LED's will run on AC, but they perform better and last longer on DC.

• TT Sponsor

Hey Crash279

We prefer to rewind and float the ground on stators because of the quality of OEM parts over aftermarket products. The reason a new DC reg/rec is needed is because the stock reg/rec has two outputs an ac and dc side. Once the ground is floated and goes to an all DC setup a full DC reg/rec is required. 

Once you have a full DC setup then you could run an LED or HID light no problem.

Let me know if you have any questions

Thanks

Mike

BD

Hey Crash279

We prefer to rewind and float the ground on stators because of the quality of OEM parts over aftermarket products. The reason a new DC reg/rec is needed is because the stock reg/rec has two outputs an ac and dc side. Once the ground is floated and goes to an all DC setup a full DC reg/rec is required.

Once you have a full DC setup then you could run an LED or HID light no problem.

Let me know if you have any questions

Thanks

Mike

BD

Mike,

Would this require any rewiring on the bike?

• TT Sponsor

Mike,

Would this require any rewiring on the bike?

The new reg/rec would plug right very similar to the stock one. Depending on what lights you are running they would need to be wired up to the battery. Once you go to a DC setup the AC wiring no longer sees power. What lights are you wanting to run after the ground float?

The new reg/rec would plug right very similar to the stock one. Depending on what lights you are running they would need to be wired up to the battery. Once you go to a DC setup the AC wiring no longer sees power. What lights are you wanting to run after the ground float?

Just wanting more output out of the stock headlight. Both of my WRs are street ridden and the one utilizing AC power is almost useless at night. My other one uses DC power for the headlight but will run the battery down on longer trips.

• TT Sponsor

Just wanting more output out of the stock headlight. Both of my WRs are street ridden and the one utilizing AC power is almost useless at night. My other one uses DC power for the headlight but will run the battery down on longer trips.

Going to a DC setup with help keep the voltage stable. 

• TT Sponsor

Looks like I'll have it towards the end of next week. Do I need to send it to anyone in particular? What do I need to do as far as ordering the correct rectifier?

When your ready to ship you can give me a call or place the order online. (over the phone is how I can apply the TT discount). and then if you ship with attn to Mike on the box it will come to me to process

Thanks

Mike

BD

When your ready to ship you can give me a call or place the order online. (over the phone is how I can apply the TT discount). and then if you ship with attn to Mike on the box it will come to me to process

Thanks

Mike

BD

I'll be talking with you next week then. Thanks Mike!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Sorry for reviving an old thread but I need help,I want to run the stock headlight that came with the bike(2009 WR 450)

I have the Baja designs classic kit and did the stator mod required to run the kit.

I was going to remove the kit completely and buy a stock stator could get expensive.

Has anybody modded the Baja designs light to work in the stock housing?

Could I install the headlight internals from a 2013 light which I believe runs on dc current now?

Now that I have changed the stator to one dc circut can I float the ground?

I am determined to do this even if I have to make my own harness using the Baja harness.

Any help /advice is appreciated

Thankyou

Edited by triplerider