HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Trevor_Corey

wiring a hydraulic brake switch into a 1999 wr400f

3 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I have a hydraulic brake light switch that I replaced the rear brakes banjo bolt with and im trying to wire it into my DRC Edge2 tail light and I cannot get the brake light to dim and then light up when the rear brake is engaging. There is only one hot wire and a ground wire coming back to the stock rear fender light wich has two hot wires and a negitive. Also my DRC Edge2 tail light has the 2 hot and 1 negitive. How can I wire these up to the stock stator? Any personal experience with this and or advice would be appreciated.

The original wiring is designed for the "running" light.  If I remember correctly it is one yellow and one black to the tail light.  The black is ground, the yellow is 12V AC.  The original tail light is wired for a dual filament 1157 bulb with three wires, same as your new lamp.  You will need to add a circuit for the brake lamp.  The best thing to do is create on that get 12v from before the head lamp switch to the hydraulic switch and then from the hydraulic switch to the brake light.  That way, with the motor running, you will always have a brake light no matter if the head light switch is on or off.

The original wiring is designed for the "running" light. If I remember correctly it is one yellow and one black to the tail light. The black is ground, the yellow is 12V AC. The original tail light is wired for a dual filament 1157 bulb with three wires, same as your new lamp. You will need to add a circuit for the brake lamp. The best thing to do is create on that get 12v from before the head lamp switch to the hydraulic switch and then from the hydraulic switch to the brake light. That way, with the motor running, you will always have a brake light no matter if the head light switch is on or off.

Yeah, what he said. You don't have a circuit on the bike for that. What did you plug the banjo bolt switch into????