Buy now or wait?

I'm looking into buying a new 2012 WR450 and have called around to a bunch of dealers. Best price out the door was $6500 with many following closely behind at $6700. The earliest I would buy would be mid September. Some of the dealers told me that they expect the 2014s to hit their floor around the new year. Do you guys think the price of the 2012s will drop when the 14s are available, and if so, how much? If I waited I would also run the risk of the dealers with the best pricing running out of 12s by January. What would you do?

I'm looking into buying a new 2012 WR450 and have called around to a bunch of dealers. Best price out the door was $6500 with many following closely behind at $6700. The earliest I would buy would be mid September. Some of the dealers told me that they expect the 2014s to hit their floor around the new year. Do you guys think the price of the 2012s will drop when the 14s are available, and if so, how much? If I waited I would also run the risk of the dealers with the best pricing running out of 12s by January. What would you do?

A price drop is expected but by how much youl have to wait. If the 2014 model gets some major (or minor) updates the price will drop more still.You cant go wrong with the 2012 model so I say get it while you can.

I don't expect any major changes to the 2014s, possibly just some mapping and valving refinements at the most. Many dealers around me have 2-4 2012s left.

Few ways to look at it, are you going to pay cash or finance? If your just looking for the rock bottom price go for the 12', its going to be the same bike. Are you going to keep it for more than a couple years? 12' or 14' you need to look at the dealer incentives because they change depending on the year and are you going to save more on the 12' in the purchase over the 14' the day you go to sell it.

I will be paying cash. Not interested in any year other than 2012 since they are the same bike and the 12 should be significantly cheaper. I will plan on keeping it for 6-10 years as I have done with my 2006 that I bought new in '06.

Buy now...the 2012s are not going to get any cheaper. Plus you can enjoy it now!

Buy now...the 2012s are not going to get any cheaper. Plus you can enjoy it now!

What makes you say they won't get any cheaper?

What makes you say they won't get any cheaper?

There is a price point where the manufactuer will lose money...they will not go below that figure unless there are serious extenuating circumstances....they are at that price point.

 

Even if they did come down another $200-$300, are you willing to give up 6 months of riding it for that little bit of savings?

 

Common sense.

I have a bike now and won't be selling it until after I get a new one. No riding time will be lost, its too valuable to me.

 

I understand what you are saying about the price point, but I think that there is a point where they just need to move inventory to make room for new bikes.

Edited by woods-rider

wait and buy used in a year or two, save even more money

wait and buy used in a year or two, save even more money

I have thought about it, but I really want a new bike so that I know exactly what condition every part is in. Plus, in two years they will probably still be going for about $5k. My bike is coming up on 8 years old and it looks like I should be able to get $3k for it. It has over 1000 hrs on it and I haven't done anything engine-wise besides adjust the valves, change the oil and clean the air filter. I think I am pushing my luck and want to sell it before the top end goes or something else fairly major.

Edited by woods-rider

If your going to keep it for that long I think your smart to stay with the 2012. The money you save can go towards the tuner etc. and being there's no difference in the bikes, there's nothing to gain by having the new one. Also look at Yamaha's offers, they are giving you $600 cash back on the 2012 and you should be able to get $300-$400 back on a trade in. At least that's what they were offering back in April when I got mine. I never thought about the trade in because I wanted to get the most out of my current bike but with the $400 they gave me it came out even to what I could have sold it for but without the hassle. Good luck.

If your going to keep it for that long I think your smart to stay with the 2012. The money you save can go towards the tuner etc. and being there's no difference in the bikes, there's nothing to gain by having the new one. Also look at Yamaha's offers, they are giving you $600 cash back on the 2012 and you should be able to get $300-$400 back on a trade in. At least that's what they were offering back in April when I got mine. I never thought about the trade in because I wanted to get the most out of my current bike but with the $400 they gave me it came out even to what I could have sold it for but without the hassle. Good luck.

Thanks for the info on the trade. I typically just sell vehicles privately as I can get more for it and it's worth the hassle, but if Yamaha is offering an incentive then maybe the dealer can give me a better value on it. I'll check on that.

Buy it now. Like others have said dealers can only go so low. I have a friend who is a salesman at a local dealer and he said most people think these bikes can be deeply discounted like cars can. He told me there is barely any profit margin on them. He said most of the time they are lucky to make a couple hundred off the bikes. They make most money on service and parts. He also told me Yamaha dictates how low they can go on their prices and if they go lower they run the risk of loosing their endorsement to sell that brand. 6700 OTD is pretty good. Im guessing thats without sales tax because there isn't any in Oregon....

Correct, no sales tax.

In the OP's boots I'd buy the 2012 now. Enjoy!

Thanks for the input guys. I will be driving right by the place with the best deal I have found ($6500 about three hours away from home) on a business trip next week. I will have to decide between now and then if I want to buy now or wait until the 2014s arrive to see if there is a price drop on the 2012s.

Thanks for the info on the trade. I typically just sell vehicles privately as I can get more for it and it's worth the hassle, but if Yamaha is offering an incentive then maybe the dealer can give me a better value on it. I'll check on that.

Don't want you reading this wrong, the dealer was going to give me $400 less than what I could have gotten out of it by selling locally. Yamaha had the trade in incentive of $400 which made it a wash. So I didn't get more for trading it in, just didn't have the hassle of trying to sell it. Also by trading it in you will avoid paying the tax on the old bike and that can add up to a few hundred dollars that goes straight towards the new bike.

Don't want you reading this wrong, the dealer was going to give me $400 less than what I could have gotten out of it by selling locally. Yamaha had the trade in incentive of $400 which made it a wash. So I didn't get more for trading it in, just didn't have the hassle of trying to sell it. Also by trading it in you will avoid paying the tax on the old bike and that can add up to a few hundred dollars that goes straight towards the new bike.

As long as it's a wash it's worth it to avoid the hassle of selling it as you said. In Oregon there is no sales tax, so paying tax on a bike I sell is not a concern.

 

I have asked the dealer about the Yamaha trade in incentive so we will see what he says.

Edited by woods-rider

I have thought about it, but I really want a new bike so that I know exactly what condition every part is in. Plus, in two years they will probably still be going for about $5k. My bike is coming up on 8 years old and it looks like I should be able to get $3k for it. It has over 1000 hrs on it and I haven't done anything engine-wise besides adjust the valves, change the oil and clean the air filter. I think I am pushing my luck and want to sell it before the top end goes or something else fairly major.

I think you just answered your own question.  The tradeoff is wait a couple more months to save a $200-$300 more than the current deal but doing so, your '06 may self destruct in the meantime.  Seems to me $6500 is a pretty good price for a new 2012.

 

p.s. This is great....spending other people's money is so easy....

Edited by SilvFx

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now