HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dirtrider30c

Gearing for woods

16 posts in this topic

So I'm looking to possibly buy a friend's 2006 YZ450F and I would like to turn it into a woods bike. My question is what should I go with for gearing for single track riding through the woods?

I have tried 13/50 or 13/51. I also have a flywheel weight which helped a lot. But for gearing I have found within 1-2 teeth of the stock 49 works good for me.

My advice, don't waste your time. I don't think the 06 makes a good woods bike. 08-09 if you want to make one into a woods ride.

I wouldn't want to ride an 06 450 in the woods either.

Edited by beezer

My advice, don't waste your time. I don't think the 06 makes a good woods bike. 08-09 if you want to make one into a woods ride.

Why? Please explain.

Edited by FRANTIK1

Depends how aggro the person riding the bike is.

I'm running 13/50 on my '11. It works pretty well for most single track and offroad work. The transmission really isn't ideal for hard technical trails but works well for about 90% of the riding I use it for. A 52 tooth rear might be better for the low speed stuff but as for now cruising at 50 mph is pretty high RPM and I do often take dirt roads back to camp after a hard day on the trails.

I thoroughly enjoy my 06 in the woods. I revalved the forks and shock myself to be a little more forgiving on rocks/roots and braking /accel bumps. I run 13/51 gearing and it works. I run a athena 478 with hot cams and enjoy it.

Why? Please explain.

Because I've been trying since I bought this bike in 06 to get it to perform the way I want and it's still not there. Granted, I don't ride a ton but my experience has not been a good one. Flywheel weight, lower gearing, 2 suspension revalves and tons of other money invested in this thing and I'm still not happy with it. I've never been as happy with my 06 as I was with my old 00 with much less time and money invested.

In more open country where you can push the bike and ride more aggressively it works well. In more technical terrain where you have to slow your pace this bike SUCKS. Maybe I'm just old and dumb and don't know how to ride but I know I had far more fun on my old 00 than I ever have on my 06.

Why? Please explain.

08-09 is said to have soft low end with smooth mid range transition which makes it a good motor to use as a woods bike vice some explosive non-tractable machine. The 08-09 got some changes to frame to make them handle better. I like my 09 YZ450 but I've only had it a month now. :)

Edited by shrubitup

I am running 13x51 and it feels pretty good for most stuff except steep loose restarts it is hard for me to get beck on the pegs and get going.

Edited by dadat40

Because I've been trying since I bought this bike in 06 to get it to perform the way I want and it's still not there. Granted, I don't ride a ton but my experience has not been a good one. Flywheel weight, lower gearing, 2 suspension revalves and tons of other money invested in this thing and I'm still not happy with it. I've never been as happy with my 06 as I was with my old 00 with much less time and money invested.

In more open country where you can push the bike and ride more aggressively it works well. In more technical terrain where you have to slow your pace this bike SUCKS. Maybe I'm just old and dumb and don't know how to ride but I know I had far more fun on my old 00 than I ever have on my 06.

So you are saying its more of a handling problem I take it?

08-09 is said to have soft low end with smooth mid range transition which makes it a good motor to use as a woods bike vice some explosive non-tractable machine. The 08-09 got some changes to frame to make them handle better. I like my 09 YZ450 but I've only had it a month now. :)

I bought an 09 last year. I was 44, and have not had a dirt bike since I was 17. I like the bike much more since I did some mods for the woods. An 06 CDI, GYTR offroad flywheel, 12/50 gearing and a Lexx slip on with a 34mm tip. It does well in the tight stuff, but then I  have not owned or ridden anything else to compare it to.

So you are saying its more of a handling problem I take it?

Yes.  The handling is, well... crap.  And the carb (at least on my bike) is finicky as a baby with colic.

I've been using 13-51 on my 06 and have been happy with it for tight woods. I bought 12 13 & 14 fronts and 48-52 rears so I want to play around some more