2008 WR450F WITH YZ SUSPENSION AND CAMS / PART DEUX

This is the low boy mount kit. Are you using it on your bike?

image.jpg

This is the low boy mount kit. Are you using it on your bike?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The steel framed WRs don't need anything to mount up the Fastway pegs in the lowboy position.

The 07 thru 11 aluminum frames require countersunk screws...that's it. You need to countersink the stock peg bracket's lower hole with a 90 degree X 0.750 diameter countersink. Fastway sells the replacement bolts for $10 bucks for the set. I've done this to all of my aluminum framed YZs and WRs. Those brackets in your post are for the YZ aluminum frames only. They are just stock peg mounts bought directly from Yamaha and have had the lower bolt hole countersunk.

The 2012 is a whole nother animal. Fastway told me no way, won't work in lowboy position. Some folks have stated they bought longer camber bolt kit screws from Fastway and they worked for them. What the &%$#@!?  I saw this posted after I modified the brackets myself as I already had the pegs and was going to make them work one way or another. So for the 2012's you can apparently now get longer camber bolt kits.

I pulled the peg brackets from the bike and built up weld in the peg stop area where the camber bolt contacts the bracket itself. I milled this built up material down to the same height as the current peg stops for the normal position and wala. I detailed the whole process in a different post. I may post a pic later if I can get motivated.

Even though I'm 6'2" the thought of lowering my feet on my dirt bike makes me shudder. Still recovering from two broken toes sustained six weeks ago when I met a boulder hidden in some brush on the trail. Quality boots weren't worn on that trip. Never again. Insist on sewn on non- Alpinestar soles if you value your feet. 

Edited by shrubitup

The taller the seat, the less your toes will point down. 

I've never had an issue with lowered pegs on any bike.

I ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs, putting pressure on one or both pegs all the time.

Edited by Krannie

OK, official ride today of the finished bike.

Motor:  10/10

Powerband 10/10: power band is now 6,000 rpm wide!  Full power from 5,000 to 8,000, usable from 3,000 to 9,000 !  Paul at AS Racing is a genius....

Carburation 8/10 (need to drop the needle one clip)

Handling: 8/10 (need to get the suspension set before playing with sag numbers)

Suspension: 7.5/10 : fork gets too stiff too fast, and backing off the compression makes it bottom (so it's not oil height). Just need to re-visit the SSS valve on the forks.

I had to crank the steering damper way down to keep the bars from being knocked out of my hands (deflection)

Ergos: 8/10 : bars could be 15mm taller

Starting: 10/10 (dropped it 4 times and had no starting issues)

Weight:  8/10:  only heavy on steep slow uphills, and when landing out of sorts after getting air.

Fun factor:  9/10 : once the suspension quality matches the power, this bike will be my #1 of all time for everything but high-speed desert.

The AS Racing porting and the YZ spec cams are an amazing match. The power is right there when you need it, all the time, and is practically flat and strong.

The rpms now rise and drop much faster than before when blipping the throttle, and when needing instant momentary power, it's just there, without hesitation or need to use the clutch.

It's only slightly slower in rev than a YZ, which is fine with me.

IMHO, there is no point in doing the YZ cam spec without at least a higher compression piston and some mild porting.....

IMG_0726_zps03efdfb0.jpgIMG_0717_zps0160c400.jpg

Edited by Krannie

The taller the seat, the less your toes will point down. 

I've never had an issue with lowered pegs on any bike.

I ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs, putting pressure on one or both pegs all the time.

what seat you got?

what seat you got?

CUSTOM seat, starting with Guts foam, raised 1.5" additional, and then the Guts racing two-tone tall competition cover.

Are those clamps the stock 25mm off-set?

Are those clamps the stock 25mm off-set?

No, they are DH1 clamps, 22mm. Came with the bike,

4b999878-29d7-4830-85f7-b7d36d132776_zps

You can see why I need everything a little bit 'taller' than usual...

739950_733457476671426_202920697_o_zps91

Tough hill. Steep and silty. I stalled taking the wrong line.

1265470_733457770004730_1039980254_o_zps

Your pic. with the street in it earlier looks like Bouquet or Spunky cyn. area.

Your pic. with the street in it earlier looks like Bouquet or Spunky cyn. area.

Bouquet

I have a set of Ride Engineering 22mm offset triple clamps that I took off my '07 WR450 if anyone is interested in them.

OK, went on another ride today. 

Now that  the motor is pretty well sorted out (AND F'ING FAST) it was time to tinker with the suspension.

On the previous ride I was getting terrible deflection of the rocks and ledges, even in first and second gear. Thrird and fourth were white knuckle.

So, I left a message for Steve over at Steric Racing that we were probably going to have to open them up again and make some adjustments.

Just for grins, I decided to put the front compression clickers out 6 more clicks, and the back 3 more, and both rebounds 3 more, and the high speed shock clicker out 1/2 turn more.

Usually when you do this (Showa) you get a wallowy hobby-horse of a ride, but the deflection goes away.

Well, to my surprise the bike was much smoother, but no hobby-horse! No deflection! ....and yet no divey-wallowy ride either.

I was amazed. I guess the SSS KYB High speed valve does not get more less sensitive with less compression it just works in a different range.

I was able to ride today with the gang of misfits and do 40 miles of rocky single track and death-defying hills, only putting my foot down twice all day!  

I was amazed. I never thought it would get this plush and yet stay in control. Oh, don't get me wrong....6 deep whoops in a row and you are in trouble, but that's not what I'm looking for in this bike anyway. It is not a desert bike, it's supposed to be a reasonably civilized dual-sport with massive speed on tap and supple single-track suspension.

Now it is. 

It is now the bike I envisioned in my head those many months ago..

LETS RIDE

Well done!

Dang, I just clocked 67mph in 4th gear, going up hill, 14/50 gearing.

DANG!

No, they are DH1 clamps, 22mm. Came with the bike,

Do you think it helped the handling ?

Great thread, btw.

I have to ask why you still have the CRFX. What does it do that the WR doesn't ?

Do you think it helped the handling ?

Great thread, btw.

I have to ask why you still have the CRFX. What does it do that the WR doesn't ?

Not sure if the 22's helped. 

I've had two other WR's and never needed different clamps.

The X will be with me always. It is a 'giant' WR, and perfect for really desert rides. It's a friggin freight train with knobbies....

The WR is quite a bit more busy at speed in the whoops.

The YZ forks are a HUGE HUGE HUGE improvement in handling.