20014 yz450f

• 2 weeks later...

Probably late, but i wouldnt use synthetic oil for break in. My dad recently bought a street/strip car with a pretty strong new motor. After driving it around to get about 1500 miles on it or so, and changing the oil we went to the track. The car seemed to completely fall on its face in the higher rpms. After going through the routines to figure out what was wrong, we called the previous owner and found out he had used synthetic oil for the break in. We then pulled the motor and while tearing it down found 2 pistons with broken ring lands. Though this isnt a bike and we cant directly link the problem to the synthetic oil, we couldnt find anything that couldve cause it.

Probably late, but i wouldnt use synthetic oil for break in. My dad recently bought a street/strip car with a pretty strong new motor. After driving it around to get about 1500 miles on it or so, and changing the oil we went to the track. The car seemed to completely fall on its face in the higher rpms. After going through the routines to figure out what was wrong, we called the previous owner and found out he had used synthetic oil for the break in. We then pulled the motor and while tearing it down found 2 pistons with broken ring lands. Though this isnt a bike and we cant directly link the problem to the synthetic oil, we couldnt find anything that couldve cause it.

Blaming that on the oil seems a little weird to me.

Not blaming it on the oil, but there was nothing else that couldve caused it, car was running on the rich side, the weather was cool out. Im not saying the oil is caused it but there was nothing else that couldve led to the broken ring lands.

Other unknown factors we havent found couldve been the cause but the new motor runs perfectly fine and it was broken in with conventional motor oil.

How is it BS i was just relating an experience to breaking in with synthetic oil, not saying that was the cause but there is nothing else we have found.

Not blaming it on the oil, but there was nothing else that couldve caused it, car was running on the rich side, the weather was cool out. Im not saying the oil is caused it but there was nothing else that couldve led to the broken ring lands.

Other unknown factors we havent found couldve been the cause but the new motor runs perfectly fine and it was broken in with conventional motor oil.

How is it BS i was just relating an experience to breaking in with synthetic oil, not saying that was the cause but there is nothing else we have found.

In spite of your experience i really doubt that using synthetic oil in the break in period would cause such a malfunction. When you say "previous owner" your saying that you cant really confirm what the engine has been through or how its been treated

I may not know exactly how the motor was run but, i know the previous owner personally, i helped him put the motor in myself. And know how much he drove the car aswell as how many miles were on the new motor. We put more miles on the motor driving it home than he did in the 2 months he had it finished.

Im not saying the oil is caused it but there was nothing else that couldve led to the broken ring lands.

A ) Yes there is. Read up on detonation.

B ) Using synthetics during break in could not possibly have even contributed to such a failure.

The BS I referred to is the whole idea that synthetics shouldn't be used during break in.

Car wasnt detonating either, look im not going to go over it all, synthetic oil was used, not saying it was the cause but i wont use it for break in. Couldve been faulty machining from the new pistons or on the block.

I thought this was a joke being it was so far in left field but apparently not. Unbelievable how someone can blame a problem on something so far fetched.

As far as using a synthetic for break in. Well not all synthetics are created equal. Redline oil states NOT to use the oil during break in. This for street use and not racing.

Edited by Gunner354

If you read what i stated plenty of times im not blaming it on the oil, i said thats the only thing that was found that i was always told not to use for break in. Like i stated already it could have been faulty machining on the block or new pistons that caused it. The motor never detonated and was driven and broken in properly.

If you want ill bring home some of my measuring tools in the morning from work and check the specs on the cylinders and pistons and find the tolerance allowed. Since that is the only thing i havent done to find yet.

Edited by LAYZ71