Looking for a 2013+ yz450f

So I´m going to buy a new bike and it is going to be yz450f. I got my eye on a bike that has 40 hours on it. Since I have no comparison, I would like to ask you guys If those hours could be true.

Pics are here (bike has new plastics) - http://www.mototehnika.ee/webcache_kasutatud/156/auto_php-id=1450156-view=10-www_mototehnika_ee.html

I´m also considering buying a new 2013 one, but it would cost me 1,5 grand more. I´m a bit afraid to buy a used one. Since I have no idea how fast Yamaha wears down, is there any sure signs that bike with less then 50 hours has or don´t have?

In my opinion, 50 hrs isn't bad on a YZ450 but that is all relative. Depends on how well the bike was maintained, did it have good quality oil and changed every few hours? How about air filter, fresh one every ride? Valves checked on a regular basis, were they every out of spec and by how much? What was the bike used for, hard MX racing or trail riden by a dad chasing his 8yr old kid? Those factors typically out-way hrs in how worn out the bike is.

I know it is relative. just would like to know if on the picture it looks like 40 hour bike. Wheel wear and engine cases should be that worn? My friends kx450f with 20 hours engine cases look kinda same, but wheel has no wear at all.

I know it is relative. just would like to know if on the picture it looks like 40 hour bike. Wheel wear and engine cases should be that worn? My friends kx450f with 20 hours engine cases look kinda same, but wheel has no wear at all.

Side case wear varies widely. Mine always look more worn as I clean them with a scotchbrite which removes the brown finish. Also depends on rider and boots. I had a pair of 1st gen Sidi Crossfires that tore up my side cases really bad.....almost fubar! Unbelievable!

I know that you can reset Hours with power tuner, so not rly sure. Anyway I can get a brand new Kawasaki for a good price. Maybe I´ll get KXF just because Yamaha´s new 13 model costs considerably more. And most of ppl I know who have bought "lightly" used, have had problems with tranny and engine, so I´m leaning towards a new one.

Thanks guys for replies!

You could get a leak-down test done on it too and that would shed a bit of light on how worn the top end is.

Depends on how tight $$ is, but for me, if I can get a new bike for $1,500 more than a used on I'd get the new one. It's easy to run up $1,500 in wear and tear on a bike such as, top end, tires, suspension linkeage, suspension fluids, drive train, tranny, bottom end bearings, brakes etc. I was in the same boat last year and flipped my 45 hr bike for new even though the used one was in great shape other than a leaking fork seal ($1,400 difference).

For the record, my 45 hr bike had case covers that looked like Grey73's bike above, far less worn that the one in the ad.

Edited by jaro51
  • Like 1