Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Naru

Dog food in the air box?!

19 posts in this topic

So I recieve a call today from a good friend who purchased a used 2001 XR650R last night. The bike looked to be in really good condition, with about half tread left on the original front tire. It was the original owner's first bike, and it looked pretty good, especially at what he paid ($3100 in Cali.).

So, this morning he's changing the oil and whatnot, and opens up the airbox. Out falls about 15 pells of dog food. Also, the air filter on the right side is folded back, exposing about two inches of the back fire screen that seems to have been exposed when riding, as it is pretty dirty. So, he doesn't know what to make of it, and calls me. Now he's freaking out, wondering why there is dog food in there and more importantly, if the engine was damaged due to dirt getting in through the backfire screen. I told him I would get on here and get all of your opinions on the subject, though I have an idea. Since it is on the right side, my guess is that while in storage, a small mouse came through the airbox vent on the top right, and started storing food away for the winter. This is also probably why the airfilter is folded away from that area, as the mouse would have to make a spot to move. Lastly, this may have been corroborated by a small (though somewhat insignificant) hairball that was also attached to the filter. As for rather the bike is damaged or not, the air filter looked very clean, but the backfire screen was pretty dirty. There was a fair amount of dirt in the airboot that he could wipe out with his finger. But my guess is, it was probably only ridden for 1-2 rides that way (judging by the air filter), so things are probably alright. Anyone have any other observations? He's telling me that he feels like he wants to sell it as he doesn't want to be around when it blows up. But he also wanted to get it dualsported, and must buy a used bike before the end of december, which is pretty much a dream at this point (at least for a price like what he got). Thanks for the time reading this, and for any responses. PS - The bike is still not uncorked, so it probably wasn't ridden hard. :)

Compression test! Pigs eat dog food? :D I would take the carboretor off and see what got how far before starting it any more. If there isn't much dust or dirt and the compression is good :D Mice may have done this and the owner never looked? :)

After he cleans this mess up and changes the oil taking special note of the condition of the old oil. He should go over the engine and make sure the valves are adjusted to specs. Then he needs to start the bike warm it up and take a compression check. The compression for a slightly ridden bike should be like new. I had 5000 miles on my 2000 and it had the compression of a new bike. If this bike was hardly ridden which is very possible, beings it was still uncorked it is very likely in excellant shape. He might consider changing the clutch bearing which some of the early models had trouble with. Dual sport it and ride.

The old "dog food n the airbox" issue: check the archives for much more detailed discussion on this subject.... :D

SO long as it wasnt started up while the mouse and dog food where in there-then it should be fine-just take the carb off and clean it out (presumably mouse [@#$%&!] and piss and stuff could be in the jets, etc.) and wipe the inside of the airbox clean.

It seems to take about 300-500 miles of riding with a loose or dirty or very ill fitting air filter--before the engine has a meltdown. Just ask sunnymex on this site-he went a few hundred miles without any airfilter till the end happened.

I have had a fine layer of stuff inside the airbox on numerous occasions-so have many others. You can get very small leaks around the airbox boot, or dust past the filter, etc.

If the bike has been ridden with dog food/mouse stuff in airbox -- well IHMO --its probably still ok--all that mouse stuff is most likely all organic matter (soft forms of carbon) that isnt (probably) going to damage steel parts--unlike sand bits or clay colloids (look it up!) that are stronger than steel. But of course you would have to clean out the carb, etc, etc.

Clean it, Dual Sport it and have some fun. You probably should worry more about Haunta Virus than worn piston rings or pitted valve heads... :)

I'm going to yank the carb first thing tomorrow with him, and report what I find. On the positive side, it appears none of the pellets made it onto the other side of the backfire screen (dont know how they could have with the airfilter pressed firmly against it). By the way, does anyone know the compression PSI of a bone stock, new XR650R off the showroom? And for that matter, where I might obtain an *inexpensive* tester? I offered to pay for it, so anything by Snap-On is out of the question. :)

Kragen has one with a long hose so, you can reach down to the plug hole. It wasn't much maybe $40 :)

i would look at the oil and oil filter , spark plug and look inside the carb. probably not much to worry about. just run it.

imo even down the road, if you need valves or rings, that's ok you were going to need them anyway. it's such a good

deal. change the oil often.

Just popped the oil filter , changed the oil, removed the carb, changed plugs, etc. Except for some dirt residue, everything looks good. My friend also called the previous owner, and he said that it's only been ridden 20 minutes since the last air filter change, and there wasn't anything like that in there then. So, everything looks to be good. :)

ask the guy who he bought it from if he can talk to the mouse , thats where you will find out the real story :)

Well, if there are any problems, we're going to get a lawyer and take that mouse to court for tresspassing :)

I sounds like the bike may be ruined. If he pays me $50.00 and signs over the bike I will haul it away for him. :)

A few years ago myself and a group of friends were in Glamis and we were BBQ'ing hot wings on the grill while one of my friends was working on his bike (Yamaha). He had the tank and seat off and left to go get parts. While he was gone we began putting the hotwing bones on his bike, soon this evolved into who could find best hiding spot. He was finding bones for months (airbox, cross bar pad, frame, etc...) Right before he sold the bike over a year later I showed him the last one, in the swingarm behind a plastic cap, it was pretty beat up. We had been telling him there was 1 more but he insisted he found them all. To him this was not funny, when he found the 3 bones under the cross pad he was pissed and chucked them against the wall of his garage, but as time went by he seemed to think it was funny. Anyhow, your story reminded me of this.

Assuming there is only dust inside the airbox I wouldn't worry too much.

Hmmmm...This is giving me some good ideas for when our group is out at Ocotillo Wells for the New Years weekend! Bwaa Ha Ha Ha...

:)

A few years ago myself and a group of friends were in Glamis and we were BBQ'ing hot wings on the grill while one of my friends was working on his bike (Yamaha). He had the tank and seat off and left to go get parts. While he was gone we began putting the hotwing bones on his bike, soon this evolved into who could find best hiding spot. He was finding bones for months (airbox, cross bar pad, frame, etc...) Right before he sold the bike over a year later I showed him the last one, in the swingarm behind a plastic cap, it was pretty beat up. We had been telling him there was 1 more but he insisted he found them all. To him this was not funny, when he found the 3 bones under the cross pad he was pissed and chucked them against the wall of his garage, but as time went by he seemed to think it was funny. Anyhow, your story reminded me of this.

Assuming there is only dust inside the airbox I wouldn't worry too much.

One time a guy we know who is a real pain in the a$$ was bitching that he had to change a tire and we wouldn't help him. We were camping the night before a race and we all change our own tires so we didn't help him. While he was sleeping a friend of mine took his new tire off the bike and re-mounted the old one, then put it back together. The next morning was hilarious as he was fuming! My friend helped him put the new one back on and pinched the tube... :D :D :D Just thought I'd mention this stupid story... :)

Hey! What else is there to say? It's his Buddy's. That's what Buddy's are for, :) :thumbsup:right!

To find the real story, the F.B.I. has a mouse interrogation unit (real hard asses) It can be found in the back of the phone book I believe.

my guess is that while in storage, a small mouse came through the airbox vent on the top right, and started storing food away for the winter.

Yup. :D I bought an '88 CR125 from a buddies younger brother. It had sat outside under a tarp for about 1 1/2 years. When it got it home i started to tear it all apart and guess what i found in the airbox? It had about 1 lb. of acorns in there, and the airfilter also had a hole in it where the varmit chewed through. :D Most likely your buddies bike was ran with the filter intact and the damge occured AFTER it was parked. Good luck.......... :)