Steering damper / stabilizer

My point is that a moto is essentially divided into two halves, hinged horizontally at the neck of the bike, (no hinge for the vertical plane).

For example, when the rear of the bike likes to come around on us, it's usually the result of the front half of the bike slowing faster than the rear half. Say at the conclusion of a fast downhill.

A vertical example of this would be the issues of jumping flat, (or not). When the bike rides high either on the front or rear, one end of the bike is again moving faster than the other.

This takes a bit of thought because we always assumed the bike was a single piece of machine, right? When in fact it's really two, (actually it more like 4, but that's a different story).

Once you understand this, you begin to realize that the headset is a hinge point or axis, and any mechanical input into this axis point effects both the front and rear of the machine. Hence the ability to maneuver your bike.

Another way of looking at this, is that the left and right movements of the front wheel are also a form of suspension, or a process in which the bike absorbs impact or maintains control.

When you modify the rate in which this suspension arm moves, (your handlebars) you will change the characteristics of how the bike handles.

In my little brain, I believe that a steering damper , under given conditions, causes the mid point of the bike to want to shift out or move at a forward angle other the intended direction of what the rider wants. It’s something you have to be sensitive to in order to feel the difference. Or you can just crank down on the adjustment and you’ll see what I mean.

Does this mean you shouldn’t get one? Can’t say, because obviously there are many benefits to using these things that out-weight any problems they introduce.

So just think about it, or let me know and I’ll loan you mine for a while to play with.

DaveJ

Thanks for all of the great input. I was going to go with a higher bend on the bars with a forward offset of +5mm or so. This should help the slightly cramped feeling I have sometimes on a track or when I am trying to transisition to the standing position. To get my sore ass off the seat, could they make the seat foam any harder? For the record I am 6'1" with slightly longer arms than average for my height. Any ideas for bar bends from similar sized riders?

I think the biggest reason I bought the Scotts is the ease of adjustability and plain ...."adjustable".

I could not imagine even wanting a damper if you couldn't adjust it and especially if you couldn't do it on the fly!

I race dez and have to say once I trained myself to remember to turn it down when I get in the tight washes or mtns/trees I liked it a lot more.

But the first time I clipped a big ol' wowie at 75mph and was able to save it was when I justified the 4bones! :)

Been riding for the last 30 years and have had a steering stabilizer for about 5. I grew up riding in the woods and wouldn't have a bike without one. I use the Scotts and love it. I do however change the characteristics when riding woods vs the track.

Regards

Hick

Just re-read my post on GPR vs Scotts steering damper and I don't belive that I ever stated that the GPR unit was better that the Scotts.

I had a scotts unit on a 96 xr600 and thought the unit was great. Then (96-99) on my scotts damper it did not have the marks on the adjuster knob. It may now. Where I did not know the facts I put unknown vs. what I did know on the GPR unit. I only stated why I chose GPR over the Scotts IMHO.

Buy what you want but price, warranty and ease of use were the selling factors for me. I called scotts and gpr with an open mind and feel I am somewhat of an average buyer giving my opion on why I chose one unit over the other.

Originally posted by wapner:

Thanks for all of the great input. I was going to go with a higher bend on the bars with a forward offset of +5mm or so. This should help the slightly cramped feeling I have sometimes on a track or when I am trying to transisition to the standing position. To get my sore ass off the seat, could they make the seat foam any harder? For the record I am 6'1" with slightly longer arms than average for my height. Any ideas for bar bends from similar sized riders?

Wapner, you sound just like my build. I'm 6'1 or 2 and have pretty long arms. By far the best bend is the Tag T2 SX bars. They are tall and flat (don't sweep up like horns on a bull) and don't sweep back, which helps with the long arms. I know a lot of people like the Jimmy Button bend, but they sweep back way too far for my taste. Also you might look at 3-clamps that are adjustable. I run the Tag upper 3-clamp with the bar mounts in the forward position and the bar clamps turned for the forward position also. I think this gives a +10mm height gain and a +19mm forward gain. That along with the SX bars really opens up the bike for us taller riders and gets rid of any cramped feeling. Oh yeah, also add a tall seat foam to make the transition from sitting to standing easier.

Happy riding.

One more tidbit...Scott's does very little advertising, but we all know the product. They don't give away anything, sponsored units remain their property. The GPR only has 6 adjustments, and unless it sits perfectly in the detent, it doesn't work.

I have the Scott's unit on my 4th bike and it is especially nice at a hammered Glen Helen or LACR when you can relax and let your bike glide thru the wheel holes and surprises.

I'm for Scotts.

The GPR only has 6 adjustments, and unless it sits perfectly in the detent, it doesn't work.

I have a GPR, it works just fine when inbetween the detents, I set the GPR at about 2 1/2, it works just fine.

DC