HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smokingtz

2003 YZ450F - oiling question

5 posts in this topic

ok, I had the primary drive gear nut back off and grind into the inner clutch cover. Crank end is still ok so I got another cover and want to put it back together but am worried that I got metal in the motor as the oil filter and oil that came out was chock full of metal and looked like metalflake paint. i don't see metal in the head area and under the inner clutch cover looked ok. so what would be the path for the metal that ended up in the filter. Did it get sucked up by the oil pump and thru the filter or does it go thru the filter first and then to ......

ok, I had the primary drive gear nut back off and grind into the inner clutch cover. Crank end is still ok so I got another cover and want to put it back together but am worried that I got metal in the motor as the oil filter and oil that came out was chock full of metal and looked like metalflake paint. i don't see metal in the head area and under the inner clutch cover looked ok. so what would be the path for the metal that ended up in the filter. Did it get sucked up by the oil pump and thru the filter or does it go thru the filter first and then to ......

There is a diagram in the owners manual that shows the path of the oil. i dont have it now but the oil filter should of kept the chips from entering the top end via the oil track. That being said alot can get up in there by being carried up by the cam chain. just be safe and check it out.

The oil is scavenged from the sump by the return pump and sent to the tank (frame). From there, it flows through the feed line to the feed oil pump, and from the pump, straight to the filter.

In your situation, you should plan to remove the frame feed line screen and clean the oil tank out.

Thanks. I was definitely planning on cleaning the frame feed line screen. Doesn't look too bad otherwise. Wish me luck.

Fixed. Had to change the inner clutch cover but clutch basket was ok. There wasn't much metal in the oil tank screen and after running it for 5 minutes the oil filter looked pretty good too. Changed the filter and now am ready to go. Thanks for the help TT.