HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
artracing

Static timing

3 posts in this topic

I need to do static timing on yz400f old fashion way with timing wheel.

I have only see generic 16 Degree BTDC

Anyone know the real number?

Base timing at idle is probably a lot less than 16 degrees. You could use a degree wheel to see where the OEM marks come out. Wouldn't know the numbers for the prototype engine you have, but the production 400 should be closer to 5-7 BTDC at idle.

The actual point at which the trigger coil aligns can be different than that, however, since the CDI unit has to have the capability to advance timing at higher RPM.

Are you fitting the production YZ400 electricals to your YM400?

Base timing at idle is probably a lot less than 16 degrees. You could use a degree wheel to see where the OEM marks come out. Wouldn't know the numbers for the prototype engine you have, but the production 400 should be closer to 5-7 BTDC at idle.

The actual point at which the trigger coil aligns can be different than that, however, since the CDI unit has to have the capability to advance timing at higher RPM.

Are you fitting the production YZ400 electricals to your YM400?

Thank you for your help. You are the master and I trust your opinion. Glad you responded.

Great, this is a good starting point.

It turns out the magneto and flywheel are custom for the YZM400, so I am not able to use the production CDI

I sent the stator out to RickyStator shop to check out and spoke with Zeeltroincs

Between the three of us we decide the best plan is to use Zeeltronics programmable CDI

The CDI has three throttle postion capability and 12 RPM segments.

I have to come up with a generic timing map. Would be happy if you could recommend something

To bad you don't lie next door, we could have some fun with this deal.

Thanks again.