Will the shifting get easier?

So I took the new '12 wr450 for a small spin after removing the snorkel, muffler insert and the throttle stop screw. But shifting is really tough. The lever is really hard to move thru the gears. Will this hopefully get easier when the bike breaks in? In all of my other bikes this hasn't ever come up before.

Thanks

Doug

Yes, the shifting should get easier....

After my first oil change I noticed neutral was a bit easier to find. Im at ~250 miles now and the shifting hasn't changed much.

My 07 new was hard to shift,after 500 miles easy

Good synthetic oil will make a difference.

Won't get much easier, but you will get used to it the more you ride!

I just have a few rides into my new '13 WR but the shifting did not seem too bad, aside from needing Karnak the Great to find Neutral, but thats getting better. Are you missing shifts or hitting false neutrals? Sometimes on a New bike the shifter position is way off, from the dealer I would have to take my foot off the peg to shift until I adjusted it. Also my street bike is a Buell so I am kind of used to shifting a box with a bunch of rocks in it.

Finding neutral is next to impossible even with the bike off. I will check the shifter position also. The bike hasn't miss shifted.

Be grateful for the shifting, cause it will still be 'tight' and controlled in 400 hours.

Your average KTM sure can't say THAT (aluminum shift drum, to 'save weight'......)

Finding neutral is next to impossible even with the bike off. I will check the shifter position also. The bike hasn't miss shifted.

my 2009 gives me no issues finding neutral

Mine hasn't been hard to shift at all, but it is nearly impossible to find neutral with the bike running. With it off, it's no problem. My bike is still fairly new, hoping it improves some with age and I'll switch to synthetic on the next oil change.

I know I will regret this but what oil and weight are you using? In the past, I've waited maybe 5 riding hours or a few hundred miles before going synthetic.

Edited by Ride-n-Hard

I find going from second to N is a lot easier than 1st to

N.

First to N it will most always skip right over N.

The norm for these trans, as above 2nd down is my default

It will get better, but on the bright side you'll always have a positive shift, that's comforting to me!