Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Krannie McKranface

Worn out crank: do you get bronze 'dust' in the oil when the thrust washers go out?

9 posts in this topic

You got bronze dust in your oil?

Didn't last time, but I have very LOUD howl coming from the motor.

It's impossible to locate, and could just be the gigantic skid plate , which will come off when I do the oil change, so I can kill two stones with one bird.

Think you might have to admit you shot yourself in the foot when you didn't rebuild the crank/bottom end bearings when you had the motor torn apart.

I'd say I told you so but that just wouldn't be right...hope you get it fixed up for less rather than more.

I should be back in the states end of July.....we have to hook up for another ride! It's OK if you have to ride the Honda.

Sorry, I've had a few pints...I think I'm being funny!

Edited by JDLowrance

Think you might have to admit you shot yourself in the foot when you didn't rebuild the crank/bottom end bearings when you had the motor torn apart.

I'd say I told you so but that just wouldn't be right...hope you get it fixed up for less rather than more.

I should be back in the states end of July.....we have to hook up for another ride! It's OK if you have to ride the Honda.

Sorry, I've had a few pints...I think I'm being funny!

The oil removed from the bike when I rebuilt the top end had zero evidence of crank wear.

The crank had no play in it.

The last oil change had no bronze dust in it.

So, I'm not sure exactly how I shot myself in the foot...

Oil was fine.

Filter was fine.

Skid plate was not fine; it sings like a year of American Idle rejects....

I damped the crap out of it, and re-installed it, and it's 50% better. I can now hear the valve train clacking away, which is more what I am used to....

Yep, some of the noise you get out of the bottom end with alloy skid plates can be a bit disturbing. I run the Acerbis plastic plate with open cell foam to avoid it.